HELP 4 Months in on citalopram and hit a bit of a wall

Posted , 7 users are following.

Looking for some advice I've now been taking 20mg of citalopram for close on four months. I've had some ups and downs which looking at other posts is very common.

But I am starting to really struggle mentally I'm having worrying losses of concentration and my memory is all over the place sometimes not even remember what I've done an hour ago. Also am at times feeling as if everything is passing me by and struggling to engage in conversations with my work colleges.

It is like I'm having to force my self to be doing the things that have been so natural before. I keep on telling myself that a good night's sleep will make things better but that day never seems to come.

A lot of my problems have been suffering with anxiety mainly due to worrying about my health. I honestly don't know now if it's me feeling like I do or the medication having a lot to do with it. I'm going to speak with my gp but was just interested to get some views from anyone who may have experienced any such issues that I'm having.

Thank you Kevin.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

I experienced a similar symptom on ciatlopram in first few months perhaps you are sensitive to the meds or dosage is too high proberly questions you need to ask your GP ? hnag in there mate it does get better dont lose hope wink

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

I have been on citalopram for 3 months now currently on the 30mg dose per day and experiencing extreme fatigue, some form of disassociation, weight gain and now for the last couple of weeks headaches the kind that leave me switching all the light off and avoiding tv e.t.c even now I have had to take pain killers so I can stare at my phone screen. It's so hard to work and I work with numbers imagine that! Sigh.

I gradually uped my dosage. Started on 10mg, then 7 days later went to 20mg and about 3 week later went to 30mg. I was told the fatigue would wear off which it did but when I uped it came back but subsided. Since returning to work on reduced hours but unable to have naps anymore I have developed headaches and I can barely keep my eyes open. Constantly crashing and still feel like I need more rest. My flat looks like a bomb went off but I really couldn't care, I only cook when I have my child round because I have to or we get takeaway when it's just me I sometimes forget to eat or will just get anything to shove in my mouth popcorn or buscuit as I just can't be bothered.

I used to be on setraline which worked but the messed up my stomach so bad I became quite ill and had to come off it.

I will be speaking to my GP because I don't think it's right. Please do share what your GP says and I wish you all the best of luck.

• Posted

Some people have found that a different brand of Citalopram has caused them problems.  Worth checking if your meds brand has changed.

K x

• Posted

Hi. I wondered that about the brand. This current brand isn't good for me so going back to one that helped me most. How does a different brand cauae this? X
    • Posted

Ive read that though the active ingredients are the same it can be the non active ingredients that can differ (non active ingredients is the outer shell) - it can be this that affects some people.  There's other theories too, but can't find them at the moment.

It's worth looking into the brand, as it could be that.

K x

• Posted

Thanks. Another question I've been on for 10 weeks 20mg but the last few days been feeling more anxious and getting anxiety moments durong the day. Is this just a blip or does my dose need increasing. Like just now I felt all weird an anxious and worried I'd pass out but got myself through it. X
    • Posted

I'd say it's a blip.  People do often up their dose when they're having a blip thinking this is what's needed, but you just have to push through as is.  Upping the dose won't stop the blips.

When having a blip I found the best to deal with it is to try and take a more relaxed approach to your day.  Drive slower, don't rush, walk slower, when you sit try and let go ..... you might find you're holding your body tensely.  It won't make the anxiety magically disappear but it helps so much as anxiety thrives on stress and a tense body.  Also, remind yourself you're recovering and this is part of the process - it will get better.  Remember how long it take for a broken bone to heal ......  The blip will lessen.  As you go through recovery each blip will get easier.

Dont try and rush recovery - it'll only cause you to be tense.  Let recovery come to you.

Exercise is good too - maybe a daily walk?  Exercise releases endorphins making you feel good.

K x

• Posted

Thanks so much. That's really helpful. I'm pleased I got through my day at work and just kept on gping wirh a relaxed approach. I think my stomach often causes me the anxiety but then it's a viscous cycle and all feeds into each other. Xxx
    • Posted

Oh yes, that's exactly what happens.  You get caught in a cycle of anxiety - depression - negative thinking - anxiety etc etc each feeding off each other.  The meds help break that cycle.

Sometimes I couldn't face work, but often if make myself and then found it was better for me.

K x

• Posted

Thank you all for your feed back I have spoke with the doctor today and told her my concerns. One of which was it the medication making me feel like I do or me over worrying about the symptoms I am experiencing which was part of my original health anxiety. It is difficult trying to get through this the last week but have felt a lot more up beat today.

She did say the symptoms I explained are quiet normal for people that are on citalopram. I did also ask about lowering my dose and she said normally they recommend 6 months on my current dose of 20mg. I told her I was willing to see out my last month's worth of the 20mg but would like to try and come off it after that. She agreed to this and told me that it would be lowered to 10 mg for a week then that would be it.

Does that sound the norm? as going by what other people have said on here I was thinking the weaning off citalopram was a more drawn out lengthy process.

Again thank you all for your comments all the best people

Kevin

• Posted

Hi Levin,

Glad to hear your feedback from the doctor.

I am no health professional but just going down to 10mg for a week seems somewhat abrupt, rather than a weaning process.

I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see what others have to say.

Either way I think the most important thing is not suffering drastic withdrawal symptoms or side effects due to coming off of them.

Remember this whole process should be focused around making you feel better and hopefully bearing that in mind your doctor makes the right decisions to help you get there.

Xx Marie

• Posted

It seems a shame you'd give up when you've come so far.  Your doctor is right that 6 months is about right for someone to be on that dose.  Took me about 6 months to recover.

My son had a melt down 2 years ago and started on a different SSRI, and after going through hell on the meds it took 9 months for him to recover.  He's now back to being a happy young man again.

This illness makes us overthink, over worry, gives us negative thinking, all of which cause anxiety.  The meds help to right this.

However, if you do decide to come off the meds ypu seriously need to do over many, many months, not a week.  You'll be quite ill if you do it too quickly.  I've done it reasonably slow (or so I thought the first time) and it still hit me.  It's not pleasant and you'll find yourself in a much worse condition.

K xx

• Posted

Yeah I agree totally dont go cold turkey that will be hideous !! I have been weaning for 2 months little by little and feel ok..... if I ever feel i'm unbalanced again I would go back on in a heartbeat i dont care what people  think about anti- depressants if they make people feel better than thats good enough !!
    • Posted

My thoughts exactly Stevo - I'd be back on full dose if I ever needed to.  I never want to get into the situation I was in many years ago.  They're there for a reason.  It's usually people who've never had to take them that seem to be against them.

I weaned down by 5mg each time and didn't have any withdrawal effects - am now on 5mg.  The first time I came off them I halved the dose each time (10mg a time) and whoa!!  Weird brain zaps, nausea, headaches ..... very strange.

• Posted

Have started cutting my 20mg tablets in half and am currently feeling so much better like my old self. Did not just want to go cold turkey hope this is the turning point got me as hate feeling/being so negative it's just not me.
    • Posted

Hi

Do you think cit worked for you ? I've cut down from 30mg to 20mg 6 days ago and I feel better on 20mg than 30mg just wondering if I go down again to 10mg I mite feel even better sometimes I feel it's the cit that making me feel numb and disconnected

• Posted

Hi Don have been feeling so much better since coming down to 10 but today has been a bit of a struggle. I just got to the point on 20mg that some of the feelings I was having was it me or the medication. I spoke with my doctor and did agree to stick on the 20mg until I have used all my prescription but I was definitely feeling very withdrawn from conversations with work colleges so decided to come down to 10. I'm gonna see how it goes the next week or so have had quiet a lot of alcohol this weekend so maybe that's why I currently feel like I do.

All the best Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.