Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been depressed and very anxious for many months and I went to the doctor who said I was being normal and sent me to get my bloods checked for thyroid problems just in case. The results came back and my thyroid levels are normal but my tsh is high so I have to have a repeat blood test in 3 months time. I went to see another doctor a few weeks ago as my depression was getting worse, she has now put me on anti depressants. I am worrying now that I don't need them as it may be because of my thyroid. My syptoms are: exhaustion, difficulty sleeping at night, feeling cold all the time, dry lips, anxiety, depression and difficulty swallowing saliva. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am not a dr or expert in thyroid disorders BUT .............

It definitely sounds like a possible thyroid problem.

All this and worse happened to me . I had a ctpa scan which as an incidentaal finding showed a multinodular goitre. Now being unvestigated. I had all the signs and symptoms and plenty more that you have described for at least 18 months .

Please press for a thorough thyroid screeening and a referral to an endocrinologist as a matter of urgency. No one deserves to feel as ill as this horrendous condition can make you feel.

Kind regards

Jean xx

• Posted

Definitely get your thyroid screening done but please, please make sure thay they test for thyroid antibodies. I am not an expert others on this forum are more au fait with the relevant screening and the reasons why plus subsequent treatments etc but I understand that a battery of thyroid screening tests should be done but are not being done in the NHS.

It stands to reason that therefore the diagnosis of thyroid disorders is or are being overlooked . 

I think that  we should put in a petition to the various Governments itemising the relevant tests that should be being done and that are not being done and demanding for a thyroid awareness campaign lasting several months if not longer.

Jean

It is only through Health Education, posters in prominent places in cities such as London that these issues cn be seen by the people who are in a position to instigate positive changes that will be of beenefit to ur health.

• Posted

I would suggest you go back and talk about your concerns with the first doctor you spoke to. Write down relevant extracts from the article Jean mentioned about treating thyroid patients like children. From what I've read it sounds like your thyroid is struggling. Ask them what they think of doing an experiment and giving you a therapeutic dose of 25mcg levothyroxine for a couple of months to see if things improve. If they are reluctant enquire why and see if you can use their answer to inform your negotiating strategy. Whether this will work will depend on your doctor's nature (whether they are open to working with you on your care), and the relationship you have, or can build up, with them.
  • Posted

HI hh123

Sounds like a possible case of a thyroid disorder.

Someone told me today that when her brother had this disorder his anxiety levels went through the roof. It all sounds so familiar!

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.