HELP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone took diazipam for anxiety does it help?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have , and yes it really does, I used to take 3mg. 4mg woukd put me to sleep. But 3 was good.
  • Posted

Yes it does help and it's the best one if you have to take a benzo because it is a lot easier to get off of when you have to due to its half life, it stays in your blood longer.

I'm no doctor so please listen to yours. It can be additive. Do not abuse it. But don't read all the horror stories about it. Just listen to your doctor and if you have to take it for a long period of time, more the 4 weeks, then just make sure your doctor is willing to taper you off of it slowly and you will be fine.

I fought taking it and suffered for so long until I finally bit the bullit and took it. If you are suffering so bad from Anixiety, sometimes you have to take benzo's. It's the people that abuse or don't taper slow when getting off of them that write all the horror stories.

Again I'm no doctor, please talk to your doctor. If you aren't getting any relief from the dose he has you on then tell him.

And Celexa is usually prescribed with it; the Valium is used to help with the side effects of the Celexa. Celexa is prescribed for anxiety and the Valium is just used until the Celexa starts working and then you taper off the Valium.

I take 5mg 3 times a day. That's a bit high of a dose. You probably won't need anything near that. Do what your doctor tells you!

Valium is diazepam. Talk to your doctor!

God bless!

• Posted

Hi Catherine

I take it too, usually 5mg as required, ocassionally none at all, ocasssionaly 10mg and it really does help.  But as the other reply said, it is addictive in the senses of devlopeing both tollerance and dependance.  I control this by missing days, several at a time sometimes so that it always works and when I need it is still effective.  I'm not supposed to take it to help me sleep but I must confess that I do soemtimes.

Wishing you well

Lizzie x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie.

Be careful. I thought I was doing the same with Klonipin. Took it maybe every 2 or 3 days. I developed a tolerance because Klonipin has a long half life. So it was still in my system after 2 or 3 days when I took another. Valium has a longer half life then Klonipin.

Now I'm in the middle of a slow taper do to these terrible drugs. It's not fun at all. It's very hard.

Not saying you will face this. If you are taking it once a week you prob won't.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Reba.  

I've been through one lot of withdrawals already as last year I was addicted to 30/500 co-codamol, ended up overdosing and turning myself in to a&e.  They gave me the paracetamol antidote, to which I had an anaphalactic reaction and miraculously, no organ damage,  and I went cold turkey, it was just aweful, took me about 4 weeks to get over it, worst feeling ever, but since then I've been clean of it.  Don't know if I could go through that all over again with the diazepam when I'm not increasing my dosage and it doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.  I may be dependent but don't seem to be developing tollerance.  I've been on 5mg as required for about three years now.  I'm terrified my gp will take it off me and force me through cold turkey again.  There is no motivation in me to stop it to be brutally honest.  They really help my anxiety and sleep on occasions so why stop?   I know that's not what I'm supposed to say but I've always been a free spirit.  Lizzie x

• Posted

Should just add, I'm also on citalopram and risperidone for bipolar II, neither of which do anything for my anxiety but have stabilised my bipolar, I no longer get obsessional thinking, hypomania  / mania or depression.  Physically I'm not in the best of shape  as the bipolar meds coupled with a sedantary life style caused me to put on loads of weight, have low iron and high blood pressure too.  Seem to have started self harming this year, at aged 57!!!!  isn't that totally ridiculuous.  There is so much I don't understand.  Lizzie...

• Posted

Don't do it unless you are going to only for a few weeks...... Looking up benzodiazapene withdraw.... It's terrible.... Try to find something else besides valium, klonipin, ativan, etc to help.....
  • Posted

Don't do it unless you are going to only for a few weeks...... Looking up benzodiazapene withdraw.... It's terrible.... Try to find something else besides valium, klonipin, ativan, etc to help.....
  • Posted

Yes it does help but it is not for long term use, it's very addictive and easy to become tolerant to so it should be used as a last resort and on a temporary basis until an alernative starts to work for example.

I am not saying this lightly and I wont give you my life story because you don't need that but if I could go back to the first day my doctor prescribed it I would hand that prescription back and walk away.

Just err on the side of caution with it, it is short term relief and not a long term solution, there are lots of medications that can be used for longer term help and therapies are invaluable too,push for them.

• Posted

But ive only been on them 7 weeks and up untill yesterday I was doing so so well like 95% my self! I dont think I would of got any better qith out them, I was suicidal!

What shoild I do?

• Posted

Lattifa, I am not a doctor. Are you talking about Benzo's? If so, you should not stop them abruptly. You need to talk with your doctor about a taper schedule. Are you on an antidepressant? Maybe you need a dosage adjustment of the anti depressant.

It is so important to talk with your doctor. Slowly get off the benzo and get on some type of antidepressant. He might want you to stay at the level of Benzo until the Antidepressant works. But again, I must stress, I'm not a doctor. You need to talk to him as soon as you can.

• Posted

Oh sorry no im on anti depressant (sertraline)

Been doing really well until yesterday?? And I havent taken diazopam for weeks, although im really temted today? I thought you meant anti depresants will stop working, sorry my mistake

• Posted

Oh ok, please try to avoid using the benzo! You probably need a dosage adjustment with your other med. Please talk with your doctor.

I wish I didn't have to use the benzo but went through a very tramatic experience and needed them until the antidepressant kicks in.

I've been on them for two months at 5mg 3 times a day and now worried to death about coming off of them and Getty withdrawl.

But I will just take it slow.

God Bless!

• Posted

17 years and counting,back then they just left you on them, I was actually taken off after 3 weeks but it wasn't done slowly and unfortunately I did have severe withdrawal, they put me back on them and left me on them.

That is why I say short term use with a plan in place for a suitable alternative, being left on them indefinitely rarely ends well and tolerance is horrible.

And I would advise anyone on them to insist on a slow taper even if they have only been on them a few weeks, it should be easier if it's only been a few weeks but it should still be done slowly to avoid nasty withdrawal symptoms, the withdrawal period and intensity of symptoms has been researched to show that the longer you are on them the worse withdrawal is even if it is low dose so it must be done slowly to avoid that.

I understand that some people absolutely need them, I still take mine but I really want to get off them because they are just useless now and resistent withdrawal is a very real thing, I'm not here to scare anyone, my experience doesn't need to be another person's experience but I do advise caution, making an informed decision is very important and having a long term plan in place can certainly save a lot of misery in the future.

My anxiety is so bad at the moment and I could try a slight increase, I wont lie, I thought about it more than once, you do when you're desperate but I know it wont do me any good.

The thing to do is ask your doctor one thing 'What happens when these no longer help my anxiety?' because like I said there needs to be a long term plan, if they don't have an answer you need a new doctor.

• Posted

Slow taper and I mean really slow, reduce by 5-10% every 2-4 weeks, don't rush it and always follow the advice of your doctor, they helped you, that is great but they wont help forever, this may well just be an off day, it happens but you do need a long term plan for your anxiety treatment.
    • Posted

So sorry I also got confused, sertraline is usually pretty good but yes you can still have off days, if it keeps on speak to your doctor of course but you don't generally build tolerance to sertraline like you do the benzos, you'd still have to come off slowly in the future but they are not as bad as benzos and can be safely used long term, don't take the benzos, stick with the sertraline, it's much better.
    • Posted

A day, maybe a few days. Please talk to your doctor if it lasts longer than a few days. I'm sure you will be fine. If you were feeling good for 7 weeks, you might just need an adjustment.

God Bless!!!

• Posted

You were on them for 17 years! I was on Valium 15mg 3 years ago for another event that kicked off severe anxiety. I have PTSD, I was on them for 2 months and then tapered off of them over a 4 month period. I was also taking Celexa at the time, so the cekexa to the place of the Valum. I used the Ashton Method and had no problem coming off.

I am on the Valium and Celexa again and hope to start tapering off the Valium with the Ashton method again. My doctor is agreeable with it.

I hope that you can find some relief Bellaluna!!!

God Bless!!!

• Posted

I was on Klonipin 0.5 mg (equivalent to 10 mg valium) - half to whole tablet every other day on and off for 10 years. More on then off the last two years .

I developed and interdose withdraw and was just told to make sure I take it daily. I did for a few weeks and just became fed up. I didn't want to be addicted to anything.

I first just tried stopping. That was HORRID. The withdeaw was unimaginable. I had 100 fold anxiety and brain fog. I couldn't eat. I became dehydrated. Lost 20 lbs!

Needless to say, I reinstated. Went to a detox center. That was another stupid thing to do. They switch you to a weaker more longer acting valium and taper that over 5 days and stop.

The withdraw just returned 3 to 4 days after I left.

I spoke with my doc who started the wean. I started at 2 mg twice daily. Want to go down by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. I went down 6 days ago to 1.5 mg in am and 2 mg in pm. On day 4, I started to feel bad again.

I'm hoping of will normalize soon as I feel bad (anxiety, irritable, achy, foggy headed, no appetite).

I saw the Ashton method went without issue for you. I'm hoping this isn't as bad as the internet says

• Posted

That 2 mg is valium. Not Klonipin.
    • Posted

I'm still on them now, a huge part of me believes that they are the cause of a lot of my issues and I am looking into tapering them off but I am terrified of doing it.

It's going to need to be a very slow and gradual thing that's for sure, I'm glad you found a way to taper last time and that you have a supportive doctor for your next taper, that will be a huge help to you.

Thank you, I hope so too, I have had many breakdowns over the years but this bad spell has knocked me sidewards and I can't seem to claw my way out, I just hope it lifts a bit soon so I can get my fight back.

• Posted

Read the Ashton Taper, google it. And show your doctor.

God bless!!!

• Posted

Just take it SLOW! Stay at the level you are at now until you feel comfortable and then cut small, 10% or even less of what you are currently at. Stay at that until you feel comfortable and then cut again. That's just my suggestion but I am no doctor! Talk it over with him/her.

God Bless!!!

• Posted

Thank you robert.

I will continue slow. Concerned about what will happen when I hit zero.

• Posted

Still anxious today, no appetite, why on earth is it all happening again?? I was doing so well, sitting here crying my eyes out , I cant go through yhis again, I really cant.oh somine tell me its going to be ok plzzz
    • Posted

It really is going to be okay lattifa, you can do this, you are a stronger person than you think, anxiety is telling you that you're not but anxiety is a liar, you were doing well and that means you can do well again, breathe, let the feelings flow and I promise they will pass x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.