Help - 5 days after Heamorrhoid surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, I hope someone out there can help me.

I’m on day 5 after my haemorrhoid surgery and I’m really regretting having it done. I’m so constipated I’m frightened in going to the toilet. I’m crying all the time and wish I would die!

Please if you’ve had the same op please let me know when it started to get better, is there anything to do to make it easier to go to the loo, I’m on fibre sachets, laxatives but nothing is working. I am taking Codine for the pain which can make you constipated, but if I don’t take it I’m in horrible pain.

Please please help, is there a light at the end of the tunnel? x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

unfortunately the pain seems to be part and parcel of this procedure but it will get better even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

The first week or two I cried emptying my bowels, crikey was it painful!!

I didn't take pain relief purely for the reason that you stated, they make you constipated.

Drink 2 litres of water/herbal tea/ juice a day, measure it out rather than guess what you've drunk. The fibre sachets, plenty of fruit and veg, high fibre bread, cereal etc.

When you sit on the toilet don't strain just relax and you may laugh but I panted like a dog as I emptied my bowels, kind of helped with the pain 😁.

Just remember it WILL get better.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for replying. Last night was the worst it’s been.

I read on one of the other threads here that someone recommended standing, but it didn’t feel natural to me.

When I need to go, I pace the house like a mad woman trying to get up the courage to go.

I drink a ltr of water, but I will up that.

I wish I turn the clocks back and didn’t have it done. I’ve had three babies and thought this would be nothing, I was really wrong.

Thank you again for your advice

• Posted

having it done is the best decision ever you took.

Send someone to buy you prune juice ,it will work like magic .

As difficult as this might sound,try to avoid the coedine for at least 10hours while you drink the prune juice .

Infact my my case,at day 10 or so ,i stopped the pain reliever which helped .

GOODLUCK

• Posted

Emma, you will be glad you had it done believe me. I know it's hard to think beyond the pain right now but you are so early on in your recovery.

During labour (no pain relief for me) I said to myself "never again"..........four babies later......You forget the pain and you will with this one too.

Sarah 😉😁

• Posted

Hi Emma

I had this done in Sep 2018 so I know exactly how you feel. It does get better, honestly. The first few weeks are going to be sore and difficult, but then your set for life and this is then all over! For bowel movements, do not strain, just drink as much as you can, and eat healthy. I had very small portions of high fibre food for the first few weeks.

Also, sometimes I had the urge to go suddenly so just a heads up. Just breath slowly, try not to stress to much and try not to put too much pressure.

Have some rest, lie down on your side, and just take it easy.

• Posted

hi emma

we all experienced that horrible pain but the good news is that it will get better

here is what you must do :

Drink plenty of water and i mean plenty whether u are thirsty or not .

fiber food and plenty of it

use sitz bath during bowl movement

keep taking your pain medication . it only helps 30% of pain reduction

the first week post surgery very severe pain

second week severe

third week moderate

fourth week mild

3 months no pain

of course everyone healing is different . the above was for my case

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Emma!! listen you will get through this, what helped me the most was filling the sidz bath with very warm water and then just pooping in it, its gross and sounds funny but works, do not wipe use shower head on very warm to hot water to clean yourself, made my recovery much more tolerable, stay super hydrated with water, Gatorade and prune juice, June 1st will be 1 year for me, I can honestly say I'm so happy I did it and wish I did sooner, Good Luck.... 1 more thing take all pain meds with tylenol and motrin, you wont get constipated if you stay well hydrated.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice, it means a lot to me.

I’m currently on day 6, I wish I wasn’t so scared to have a BM. The stinging is hell. When I’m not going to the loo, I’m anxious about going and have constant butterflies. Before I go I feel like a boxer psyching myself up for a fight. Last time I spent 30 minutes pacing around before I had the bottle to go. The stinging afterwards is horrific.

Logically I know it’ll get better in time, but at the moment I can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. I hate this so much.

The doctors said it’ll be bad between day 5 and 10 due to the blood vessels needing to find a different route.

I hope it starts to get better soon

• Posted

Really feel for you its bloody stuff road for sure . There is light at the end of the tunnel try not take the strong painkillers . I had paracetamol then 2hrs later had ibuprofen did this for a good few weeks . Had fybogel every day one in a morning and one after my main meal on the night. keep drinking loads you will feel like a fish but you need to keep just filling a pint glass .Keep eating little and often . I had porridge at breakfast salad or veg soup for lunch and fruit . loads of veg for tea held back on meat lots of fish . I'm on week eight and feel like it's all be worth it . Will stay on fybogel as I never want to get them bloody things back ever. You are doing great it's done just think of the bigger picture it will be great in the end x

• Posted

Hi all, I just thought I’d send you an up date for anyone reading this who is in the early recovery of their surgery.

I’m now 16 days post surgery and I’m starting to feel better. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still in discomfort every so often especially after a BM and even more so if constipated.

At the beginning I thought I was going to die. The pain was horrible, I couldn’t stop crying. But I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and every day it’s hurting slightly less.

Thank you again to every who messaged me and gave me advice, you were amazing and got me through it.

Onwards and upwards x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.