Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had tkr 5 wk ago and its going great but has anyone esles scar at the top delved in?x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Like it has caved in or indented?  Mine has - I'm 11 months out from tkr.  I don't know why this has happened - maybe something to do with the quad muscle?  Would like to know if anyone else has this (not really too important) issue.  Assuming that is what you're referring to Janice.

• Posted

Hi yes mine did that too, I think it was because it was stapled tight and my leg really swelled up. Now though with plenty of massage its flattening out slowly
    • Posted

Interesting...my incision was glued and I didn't notice the "cave in" until a few months ago.  It's not a big issue with me, but I was just wondering.  I actually head to my Dr. next Monday and will ask him.  I'll report back if it's a sign of "high intelligence" or similar!

• Posted

Try using vitamin e oil, massaging it in deep a couple times a day.
    • Posted

Thanks oldfatguy1 will try that.i have been using e45 intense recovery but will try the vitamin oil.x
  • Posted

Janice, I had both knees replaced on the same day. I remember being a little freaked out about the healing process.  Both healed very differently and now, 22 months you'd never guess that they were done by the same surgeon, that's how different they look.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi J yes I would say almost sure to be due to swelling 7 weeks and only had one day when it almost looked like a knee again lol but 5 weeks is still very new.As for oil I would agree but only deep and on scar if you are sure there's no scabs or any not quite healed bits, go heal girl !

• Posted

Hi Janice et al...yes, me too.  The top two stiches on the thigh were not healing as well as the rest.  Then I noticed a red bump and swelling and a white fiber coming through.  I call my doctor's office and the PA told me sometimes fibers come through and they can be cut or pulled out.  My Pt took it out and it bled a little.  After two days, it  has a little scab.  They told me to massage the bump...I do it with coconut oil.  It is now 5 days and looking better.  It's such a shame because the rest of the scar looks like a plastic surgeon did it.

Hang in there...we are all together in this.

• Posted

Hi Janice, remember that you're only 5wks post op don't panic .. I would guess once your quads become strong it will help make it disappear.  Mine is fine but like alot hear they had staples .. I had internal stitching and then outerstitching and am happy enough with it .. plus I'm not one too fussed about scars they make up who you are smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone .i had disolvable stitches on the outside and it has healed realy nicely was just the delve i was worried about.xx
    • Posted

Thanks tijim .think im just a bit impatient wanting things to go bak to normal(or as near to)i was working full time till i had a fall in feb a d shattered my knee,this is y i had a tkr,was told i needed a tkr but to go bak in y wk when swelling had gone down but when i did go bak it was a totaly diffrent consultant and he told me is just ostioarthritus and would b ok in a wk but to go bak in 6 wks time.i did go bak n was told i should have had it done mths ago so he sorted it to go in on the 1st july.ive have been on crutches since feb and realy want to get bak to work(im only 50 and need the money as ive a morgage to pay)just not used to doing nothing or nxt to nothing n having people doing things for me.xx
    • Posted

Certainly empathise with you Janice .. I was 49 (my tkr is due to being run over by a truck and waiting for this to sort itself out at 10mths post op b4 I have the left one done).  Due to my injuries I had to retire at 49 so sure no what it's like being bored!  All my treatments are paid for by our TAC (transport accident commission which is insurance we pay with our car rego)  Fortunately in one way due to having over 30% of body injuries I was automatically entitled to a payout which paid for a house for us as we were renting previously.  Without my pay I don't know how we'd survive on one wage as we would'nt be able to pay rent/mortgage.  So b4 my op was approved I had to sit around for 6yrs doing nothing .. didn't help with gaining a bit of weight smile  I wish you luck remember to ice when the swelling is severe .. I now use heat on my knee for pain and find that is helping.  It's winter down here and I really don't like the idea of using ice wink take care. xox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.