help

Posted , 4 users are following.

can someone tell me if i have been awarded pip daily living at 55. something a week will my esa money go up

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You need to take a look at the qualifying criteria for severe disabily premium.  It includes things like no-one receiving carers allowance for you, living alone or with someone who also receives a qualifying benefit.  If you are eligible for this I think you have to fill in a simple form and then you may get SDP added to your ESA.  I think it's the income related part of ESA so if you have savings or other income you might not receive the full amount.  Contact DWP if you think you are eligible and ask them to send you the form.

• Posted

well no one cares for me i live in a hostel on my own. i have sent the paper work back
    • Posted

Sounds like you will get the extra amount for SDP then.  If it's a while since you sent the paper work back and your ESA hasn't increased then give them a call to find out what's going on.

• Posted

ok thank you. only sent paper work back start of last week so best leave it for a bit i guess. does it take long to process the extra money etc
    • Posted

I'm sorry I don't know about the time to process it.  I've read forums that say 2-3 weeks and others that say 6-8 weeks.  Maybe if you've not heard after three weeks you should call them and ask them how long it's likely to take.

• Posted

ok well thanks for all your info . lastly does it come down what u have actually wrong with u . i noly ask cos of the name of the premium
    • Posted

The name of the premium isn't important.  Whether you're entitled depends on being in receipt of PIP daily living which in itself is taken as evidence that what you have wrong with you is severe enough for this premium.  They then check the other criteria such as living alone and no-one claiming carers allowance for you.  Provided you meet the criteria you'll get it regardless of your condition.

• Posted

ok thanks again for taking the time to reply to my questions and all thr info
    • Posted

the only other thing making me think i wont get it is where esa ahd origionally put me in a work related group
    • Posted

on the citizens advice page 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/before-you-apply-for-esa/esa-how-much-you-can-get/

it has the sentence "If you were getting a premium during the assessment phase as a carer or someone with a severe disability, this will continue." included in both the Support group information and the Work-related activity group information.

If it's payable in both groups you shouldn't have a problem.

• Posted

I thought that the idea behind PIP was that it is a payment to help towards the extra costs you are incurring because of how your condition is affecting your life?
    • Posted

i cant see what your last comment says scally
    • Posted

Sorry about that, they're moderating it.  I don't think being in the work related group will cause any problems.  Not been through the process myself but from reading various things I think you will be ok.  Fingers crossed for you that it's sorted out soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.