Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter (11) has just been diagnosed with bronchiectasis, for the past 3.5 yrs I've battled and despite initially being told there was nothing wrong we have a diagnosis, I'm devastated!!!

At this stage she having a bad episode but no antibiotics, either IV or oral has worked, she's got some physio devises but I'm just wondering what other people do and what antibiotics have worked for them!! I'm stabbing in the dark here and very desperate!

Thanks

Faye

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you gotten a nebulizer, sodium chloride solution, and acapella? If you have not been instructed, go on youtube and watch videos to see how to expel mucus from lungs.  Do it twice a day. 

Other people on this website will give you more info.  Just relax and know that you have found a great site for obtaining years of experience.help.

Blessings,

Mary Ann

• Posted

Hi, Faye,  If I were in the situation you're in now with your daughter I would do anything to prevent her having to go on antibiotics.  It's hard to believe a child can be dxd with BX to begin with but I'd try other doctors for other opinions (sounds like you might have already done that but u don't give enough info about everything you've been told or what testing etc.) AND I'd also try a Naturopath who is also a medical doctor. They may be able to give you something natural - there are natural things that act like antibiotics also something to help loosen mucous etc.  

There a other people on this site who have had BX since they were children and likely will respond to you.  I would not want my child on antibiotics knowing what they can do to the body and mess up other things.  If you do have to resort again to antiobiotics then find a Probiotic for her to take forever which will help to keep her intestinal tract healthy (because the antibiotics destroy the good bacteria that is needed to keep her healthy.)

I did not have BX as a child but pneumonia at 13 and thank God for penicillin.  But that was a one time fix.  I would just hope that your daughter will not need to have those drugs forever - besides how will YOU know when she has a real infection and not just a 'bad episode'.  For example this week I was what I call 'drowning' in nasal problems and couldn't stop the flow of mucus from the lungs and the nose.  I had a horrible cough for several days that nothing would help and then two days ago it all stopped.  I was really thinking I'd gotten much worse in a short time but now I think I'm almost normal and no sign of cough or sputum or post nasal drip.  I feel actually really normal like normal used to be.  But I did not need antiobiotics - it all just went away whatever it was - maybe allergy related but it sure cleared my lungs.

I take lots of vitamins and supplements and I'd suggest that for your daughter too. They won't hurt her and could only help and I'd suggest a good multi, and some extra Vit. D and C and B (whatever dosage children can take)   And do some reading about BX and children - I'm sure u already have, right?  And I think there is a BX foundation with another forum; I can't think of the name and someone last week gave us the name of Bronciectasis News Weekly.  I subscribed to that and I like their news and articles. You might try that too.

Oh, by the way, my Pulmonologist told me that if an antibiotic doesn't work then you didn't need it.  Something to think about.

Hope I've given u some ideas.

Tabatha

• Posted

Hi was diagnosed at 17 with bronchiectasis briefly said if you can get your daughter to see a physiotherapist they can show certain techniques to remove the mucus ! Aswell as just taking vitamins, the body takes a while to adjust but once you get into a rhythm of medications etc. It should hopefully ease ! I've had one chest infection in the 7 years since diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.