Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 26, and last weekend i started having the symptoms of a water infection, i rang my doctors who rang me back after half an hour, i descibed my symptoms (Constant need to urinate, pain in stomach, discomfort) and over the phone she dianognosed that i had a water inecfection, and prescribed Trimethoprim 200mg 2x a day

I took my first tablet as soon as i got it at about lunchtime and i felt fine until 7pm when i threw up, i was up all night, ill so i called 111 in the morning and they told me to not take another tablet until i'd seen my GP. I managed to see a doctor who told me it was normal and to carry on taking them.

i finished my course yesterday morning, i felt slightly better, enough to go back to work however when i got home the urge came back  and i've had to take paracetmol to keep it at bay. 

And just to top things off i got a strange stomach pain this morning. And i still dont feel normal down there

I'm scared and dont know what to do, Should i try and get an appointment for after work? should i give it a few days?

Any advice will be welcomed 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi with regards to feeling sick with antibiotics I have been put on nitrofurantoin and I haven't been able to take them properly because I feel so sick! I would get an appointment and have them test your urine

• Posted

Hi there, Yes I agree about the antibiotics.  I am not sure why it is that the antibiotics prescribed for UTI's cause so many side effects or reactions, I have heard horror stories on just about every single one of them.  For me, I get allergic to reactions to all of them which leaves me in a situation that I too can not finsh a course of antibiotics.  I would do what the other person suggested and see the dr to get a test done to see that it is gone, if not they will prescribe you a different one that works against the bacteria you are fighting.  I am terrified of getting another UTI because it is very hard for me to treat when I have reactions to the medication.  Good Luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm allergic to nearly all antibiotics now. I have a continuous infection and am on my last antibiotic. When I ask what happens when this drug stops working, they shrug their shoulders and agree that it's probably curtains for me!! It's truly very frightening. What advice have you been given?

Kind regards,

Sam

• Posted

Well with my situation I had to then look outside the box, meaning I had to find other alternative through a natural path......I was lucky to get it cleared, but it look several months, and it came back once in between.  My bacteria that kept showing up in the urine was strep b.....the urologist finally told me because I wasn't pregnant or diabetic it was okay not to treat, by my symptoms were just awful.....so I wasn't going to settle for that.  I did a lot of triat and error...but finally found something that worked...now I am very careful and do everything I can to prevent one from happening......I am looking to get desesitized to antibiotics this summer......I have an appointment set in place for that.  In the mean time again I am doing major preventative measures.  I am in perimenopause so this is the time when hormones go all over the place that there is a higher risk......I hope that helps smile

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your message. That's what I need to get desensitised to antibiotics. How do I go about it please? I'm too in the menopause. This life is a nightmare sometimes!! Do you know the name of any natural remedies at all? D mannose didn't help me.

Thanks,

Sam

• Posted

To get desensitized you will need to be reffered to an allergist who specializes in antibiotics.....not all allergists do this, it took us awhile to find one where I live, and it has been a year waiting list.  D-Mannose didn't work entirely for me because I had the strep B bacteria and D-mannose fights only e-coli...but I took it anyways and still do as a preventative as I do not want to get any UTI if possible until I get this antibiotic thing resloved.  Cranberry juice....not the ocean spray kind but real 100% cranberry.....it tastes just awful but I manage to get it in me.  I take a probiotic that is meant for the urinary tract....and then there are also bladder cleanses I have purchased at the natural stores.......I drink lots of water to keep the tract flushed I know I have to pee more, but it keeps the bacteria away.  When I was battling with the infection I ended up doing ozone treatments, you can read about it for cystitis.......once iI got rid of it I am going every possible preventative measure, I am taking a high dose of garlic as it combats strep bacteria.

• Posted

Hi there,

Do you mind my asking what preventive measures you are taking? I am taking cranberry tablets, probiotics specifically aimed at what they call 'intimate flora' and of course trying to drink plenty of water, I will try anything as I have had 1 UTI after another since last August, it's all connected to the fact I have recently had a hysterectomy so estrogen is now non existent, I'm currently taking Trimethoprim (doesn't affect me fortunately) but I don't want to keep taking Anti Biotics.

Thanks.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi I am not sure you are asking me, but I posted above you what measures I am taking.  Another thing I do is make sure to wear only white cotton underwear, make sure I am always clean...and no sitting in wet bathing suits.......I didn't know this and I think that is how I got mine to be quite honest.

• Posted

Sorry, I admit I only scanned the different posts so missed some of yours, yes I only wear cotton underwear, I use unscented washing powder no perfumed bath/shower products etc, can't swim so that's no problem for me, don't know what else to do now.

• Posted

Hi Soph,

If I were you I would go back to see your GP at your earliest convenience. You may need a prolonged course of the dreaded trimethoprim, or something like Keflex. If your symptoms appear to be getting worse over the weekend, I would call 111, or just go straight to A & E. The main thing is to prevent infection moving into the kidneys.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you will be fit and well soon.

Kind regards,

Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.