Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if a psychiatrist prescribes 225mg venlafaxine xl can a doctor change it to 150mgxl +75mgxl to save cost, my GP has done this and I'm not happy thanks for any replies x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think it depends on what is on the gp's screen when writing the prescription. It might be that 225 isn't a choice for the gp. I take 2 150's and 1 75 so get 3 packs a month. it doesn't make a difference to me. just be wary of different types I.e. tablets instead of capsules as they can effect you, I can't take the tablets so have a note on my records only to prescribe capsules

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Anne, I have been told that it is because of cost, I just don't like the fact that the surgery is prescribing it differently than how the consultant said x

• Posted

I know the tablets are a lot cheaper but I can't tolerate them, they caused me to have gastritis plus they didn't work. I remember asking my gp if she was giving me empty pills! All the capsules are the same whichever brand they are

• Posted

It is he same thing. No worries. as long as you are on the same brand version and release mode, don't worry about it. x

• Posted

Hi, I've just filled my docet box for the week before I came to bed and read your reply, and they are the same release but different brands !

• Posted

Hi Trina

how long have you been on the original brand before the GP decided to cut costs?

Not sure how it is where you live but is there any way to object to this or consult the psychiatrist?

• Posted

Hi, I telephoned the hospital and they seem to think that it is ok because they contain the same contents, I feel like I have made a fool of myself because I was very verbal at the doctors, and worked myself up into a panic, I have checked on line and everything seems to be ok with the medication I've got, I don't have to pay for my medication but I was willing to do so in order to get the best to help my recovery from this horrible illness,thank you for taking the time to help me it is much appreciated xx

• Posted

The contents are the same in all venlafaxine, but not all brands of generic ven are created equal. typically once you are started on one version and it works it is best to stick on that one version of the drug. If it is early in therapy it won't matter much. Which is why I asked how long you were on the original version you were taking. x

• Posted

Hi, yes i see what you mean, I have only just been put on the XL, before that i was on the tablet form from march/april up until last friday when the psychiatrist changed the dose from 187.5 to 225xl so I cant really say that I've felt a difference x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.