Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve run out of prescription medicine I’m having an excruciating flareup any ideas of what to do until I can get my meds filled

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No quick fix, but celery seed has helped me somewhat.  Or even just plain celery, but you want to eat a lot of it, five sticks to equal one little celery seed capsule.

Take some NSAIDs - acetaminophen/paracetamol or I just take aspirin.  Not really optimal, but when it hurts sometimes you have to.

?If you already have the prescription(s) that's the way to go.

• Posted

Naproxen (Aleve) every 12 hours. Hank
    • Posted

Then use it - BUT - not for extended periods and you might try putting the tab in a banana or something to protect the stomach. They will mess up your stomach lining if you use them extensively. 

In the US can you not just walk into a doctor somewhere to get a prescription for the meds you need!? 

• Posted

Yes, it's a good idea to take naproxen with foods.

Yes, you can get most of the medications from doctors in the US, if they believe that you need them. Hank

• Posted

In the US it is generally not that easy, to just walk in and see a doctor.  There are walk-in "urgent care" clinics, of course there's generally a wait of an hour or (much) more, but I imagine that's the case in UK too.  Then there are questions of cost and insurance and accessing your existing records and prescriptions, unless you've been there before.  Frankly things are a mess in the US right now.  We're supposedly better on the big stuff, but that's another topic.

• Posted

Yes, the USA spends almost double its gdp on healthcare as the rest of the developed world (17% v 9-11%), without having significantly better outcomes.

In the UK there are problems but we can always fairly easily see a GP or go to a walk-in centre with ease (and for free).  A walk-in centre would be a wait of 30-45 mins. A GP would be a 5-15 min wait. 

If you have an accident of course it’s the same - you’ll be seen instantly by a hospital, if you’re accident is serious. 

• Posted

I didn’t explain myself clearly. I was surprised that Naproxen can be purchased without a prescription. In many countries it is controlled because of the risks of its use (particularly but not exclusively in patients with heart problems).  I’ve just read though that it’s been prescption free for 20 years in the USA. In some countries Naproxen is unavailable because of these risks.

I am also confused as to why you can’t just walk into a doctor’s office this morning and get a prescription for the drugs that you need?  My point is not the meds, but why there is a problem in finding a doctor. 

• Posted

hello rusty same in my country naproxen is a prescription drug and its also easy to go to a gp to get prescription no schedule needed.
    • Posted

Finding a doctor is getting easier every day. Now you can have a doctor coming to your house, or see an online doctor, in addition to going to an urgent care. They both can give you prescriptions.

Depending on what drugs, some are more difficult to get than others. But usually refills are very easy to get.

Hank

• Posted

Refills are available online in the UK, and you can even have it sent automatically to your chosen pharmacist, and sent to you by mail. 

All these online options, video-phoning your doctor etc., is just beginning, and I’m sure in the next few years will also find the first line screening and minor ailments initially being sorted by AI systems. 

• Posted

look for nsaids that dont need prescription to alliviate the pain for awhile till you get another prescription i sudgest diclofenac sodium the max dose is 200 mg a day take 3 50 mg per 8 hours this will help you relieve some pain and inflamation
  • Posted

Which country? In the UK go to a walk-in centre. 

Second borrow some off a friend - use social media to find someone that will send you a few days supply.

Which meds do you need? Colchicine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.