Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on armour thyroid and never should have been on thyroid meds to start. So it through me into hyperthyroidism. Had to switch docs. Went to my gp a few weeks ago and my thyroid level was 4.7 from the highest 5.3. My normal 3.0 but she is saying it's in the normal range. I'm still experiencing so the symptoms of hyper. Losing weight, can eat, sleep horrible anxiety and panic attacks. My question is has anybody else dealt with this...how did u get through it. And just because my thyroid level is in normal range...Does that mean it's normal for me??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hammer, ok, you feel like crap. I would caution that hypo and huperthyroid symptoms are often difficult to discern, as they can be very similar.

I ask because I feel like crap when my TSH is at 2.5. Do a search for ideal thyroid ranges, rather than using the ranges provided by your lab. See where yours falls.

I’d say a TSH above 2.5 is elevated and indicates hypothyroidism.  You really should get a full thyroid panel to see what’s going on, as TSH is really a screening test.

You say you have hyperthyroid symptoms. A TSH of 3 does not indicate hyperthyroid, but can indicate hypothyroid. The meds can cause anxiety. Armour is a natural thyroxin, made from ground pig thyroid gland. It has higher T3 than humans, which could be the cause of your anxiety.

Also, the meds don’t work immediately and take about three months to stabilize. Until then, you don’t really know for sure how your body responds to the meds. In addition, if you were put on a high dose initially, rather than starting small and increasing slowly, that could throw you into s temporary hyperthyroid state, as the meds suppress your own TSH, but it takes time. So initially, your thyroid could still be working frantically, as it doesn’t realize it can  relax a bit. After a few weeks, your thyroid would calm down. 

Also, with thyroid disease, as it advances, you can oscillate between hypo and hyper as the thyroid sputters. 

There’s a huge overlap of symptoms for hypothyroid disease, diabetes, magnesium deficiency, to name a few.

Most importantly, while your tests indicate hypothyroid. If you feel like crap on the meds, follow your gut and do what feels right for you. 

I tried a bunch of different meds for my advanced thyroid disease. None of them worked properly.

• Posted

I've never had any problems with my thyroid. I went to a doc for estrogen after my hysterectomy. The problem is that I was put on thyroid meds and never needed to be. The doc that prescribed them I now know has a major problem with people's weight. So I personally think she pur me on them make me lose weight. When I ended up in the er she said for me to stop taking them and I didn't have to have them.

• Posted

My anxiety and nerves are horrible, I have lost 10lbs in about 2 weeks. Shaking all the time. Break out sweating just sitting still. Frequent bowel movements etc
  • Posted

Please dont take *In normal Range* as gospel MtViewcatherine is right about everything I myself had to deal with arguing with Docs telling me Im fine when I clearly was not I wish luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.