Help

Posted , 15 users are following.

Drinking is more of a habit than an addiction for me. Hate myself when I drink. Really don't know how to break this cycle. I know I have more energy and feel so much better when I dont drink. Doesn't make sense why I keep doing this to myself

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you think right this very moment about just not doing it today, how does it make you feel?  What do you think would happen?
    • Posted

It really doesn't bother me today but I know after a few days I will be feeling great and the cycle will start again. I get so mad with myself when I do. I just seem helpless to break away from it

• Posted

I asked because that's kind of exactly how I feel.  It feels strange to know that I really won't have negative experiences if I quit, so I don't understand why I keep going back to it for really no real reason.  Life is markedly better without it, and I rarely experience any sort of withdrawals.  But then I start to panic that I might have them anyway, and I think maybe that's my cause to break the cycle.  Do you have any panic or anxiety about something like that?

• Posted

Hi Aaron

I dont get panicky about getting withdrawal symptoms but I do get anxious about when I can realistically have another drink and that becomes all consuming

• Posted

Philippa, I can vouch for the method that Joanna used (The Sinclair Method). I drank every day for over 30 years and TSM helped me cut that by over 95%. Simply put, it slowly moves the addiction in reverse and I became less and less interested in alcohol. If you find you struggle and relapse with other approaches, there's a 78% chance that The Sinclair Method will help you achieve your goals. 

• Posted

Great reply AdeFree, as usual. You have the experience!
  • Posted

I so identify with you. I've been offered rehab and a very intensive course of therapy but no medications. If I know I have an appointment /meeting early morning I don't drink the night before and it doesn't bother me but if nothing is planned for the next day I will drink even if I don't really want to. It's weird. I have been like this since 2002 and I'm getting fed up now. Anyway I hope you find the answer you need

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.