Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all I really need some advice. I have the symptoms of PCOS: irregular periods that fluctuate with weight gain, excess facial hair, oily skin and acne .. but when I was tested my scans came back fine (I had 2) and as did my bloods. Saying this, the doctor said I could still have PCOS. Anyway. I Am thinking of trying for  a baby but my husband and I haven’t really been trying as of yet but last week we did have unprotected sex. When we had unprotected sex I was two weeks late for my period and I was dieting too, to help my period pattern return to normality , because when I am slimmer my period cycle is normal. normally when I diet for a week or so my period comes straight away. Since having unprotected sex I have lost half a stone, and period still hasn’t arrived.. I’m getting mild cramping but that’s it. What I want to know is could I be pregnant? I mean it’s so confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I don’t think I was ovulating. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi there. So the short answer that you probably don’t want to hear is that if your main question is whether you are pregnant, you’ll have to wait and test. Since pregnancy tests generally advise waiting a week after a missed period before testing, I would wait a month after the piont that you had unprotected sex and then break out the ol pee stick (ince you had sex during the time of a missed period) 

The next thought on PCOS is that,from my experience (which may be very different from someone else) there is no such thing as even being able to track your cycle. My irregular periods runs the spectrum of coming anywhere between 5 months to 2 years at a time. 

PCOS or no, if you are trying for pretnancy, hunt down some info on that planning process - getting ovulation test and pregnancy tests and trying on your own for 6 months to a year. In that time, research and prepare for the possibility of needing fertility treatment. (As someone who has had unprotected sex for the last 6 years, my doctors still tell me not to immediately think infertility without trying treatment first when we are truely ready to “try”) 

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.