HELP

Posted , 12 users are following.

So, I've been dealing with 'palpitations' for the better part of 18 years, I am 42 at this point and they started when I was roughly 24.  I have been taking Atenelol since that time frame as well.  I used to get the 'extra beats' or the 'skip beats', 'flutter' or whatever you want to call it, from time to time.  I would say, 1 quick flutter for roughly 2 seconds....that would happen once a day, every month or two.  They were so far apart I rarely took notice of them.  NOW, fast forward to today.  Ever since last Saturday (7/21) I've been having them ALL DAY.  Flutters, hard beat....like 5-10 an hour all day.  I've made a call to my cardiologist and he scheduled me for a stress test and an ECHO (one is Wednesday and the other is in 2 weeks).  It's extremely alarming since it's happening so often, so much more than I have experienced before.  I have cut out caffeine, I don't drink or smoke.  I don't have any other side effects like being dizzy.  I can still complete my everyday tasks at this point, I just get concerned that these beats are happening more often and they are now associated with a headache.

I know I've read these beats can sometimes cause a stroke, I fear the pain I'm having in my head after these flutters are a symptom of that.  Even though the Dr doesn't seem to be worried, I think I would find comfort knowing someone else has had them with the same frequency, I don't even know if this is a lot in the grand scheme of things.  

I've lot about ER, I know they would do a complete workup on my blood, EKG, etc....but I don't know if that's because I'm more panicked than anything.  I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown with these extra beats.  Like the title says, HELP!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys, just wanted to follow up here. Had my stress test today, Dr got my heart rate up to 200 while on the treadmill. I had NO signs of flutters/extra beats and my blood pressure was perfectly normal throughout the test. While I’m happy the Dr said I have no blockages and my heart did fine during the test, I’m still having the damn flutters. 

I told him that I have headaches with the flutters and he simply said “that would be another test all together” so basically paid it no mind.

I have the ECHO scheduled for 8/20 but I’m wondering if the headaches should be cause for concern. 

• Posted

Hey Rich, I guess it's good news when whatever it is even *can* clear up during a test.  That doesn't make it less scary when it happens.  That's why you wear a Holter monitor or event monitor for a day or a week.

I can't say much about the headaches, could be a thousand different things, related or unrelated.  Or, of course, more nothing at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.