Help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys, so I'm getting really desperate. As I write this, I feel too tired and weak to even sit up. I have piles of homework on my desk that I physically cannot do because I feel like I can't keep my eyes open. I'm only 16 and I'm practically disabled because of severe fatigue that cannot be explained. I have a mother who doesn't seem to believe that chronic fatigue syndrome is real. I've seen doctors and certain basic stuff has been ruled out, like anemia and thyroid disease, but my doctors, while super caring, won't do much more. I've been offered sleeping pills, but I'm terrified to take prescriptions for the fear that they will only make everything worse. I'm supposed to get a sleep study done within the next month. I haven't been properly diagnosed with CFS, but I know that's what my diagnosis should be. I wasn't always like this. I mean, I've always had a degree of disabling fatigue, but it's never been this extreme. It's like this has developed slowly over the years, a virus growing within me insidiously, and now it's full-blown with symptoms. I don't wanna live like this. School is impossible but my parents won't let me stay home. I feel like I have no help or support from my parents or doctors. I can't read because all the information goes into my head and then goes right out, I can't remember what happened yesterday. I'm never gonna be able to finish high school, let alone go to college or ever get some sort of job. I don't know where to turn, I can't talk to my mom without getting into a fight. Maybe this is just a flare up. Before the school year began, I became extremely fatigued like this for about 2 weeks and then it improved a little and became more manageable. For a few weeks, I seemed alright and now, for a week so far I'm bedridden again with no identifiable potential trigger. In the midst of feeling like you're dying, what can you do? Is there anything that will make this better? I do notice that if I take a super hot shower, my energy improves slightly for like 20 minutes afterwards. But even then, the heat doesn't really help. Also sometimes it doesn't feel like my body is fatigued, just my mind, head, and eyes. Most of the most troubling symptoms is my "tired eyes." They feel wet and freezing cold and this makes me constantly feel like I need to close them and sleep for 20 years. I'm pretty pale and always freezing to the touch according to other people, but I don't have an iron deficiency or anemia. The constant tension headache that I have is also hard to deal with, I have to take up to 7 Tylenol a day to keep the head pain under control. All of this is happening and neither my parents nor doctors believe it is this severe even though I've been bedridden all weekend. And to be honest, I oftentimes feel like dying would be better than this, something I'm sure a lot of severe ME patients can relate to. I don't know what to do. Why is my fatigue this bad? I genuinely feel like I don't get any sleep even though I get at least 7 hours a night. Please someone say something hopeful or encouraging because I feel buried fifty feet under the earth watching everyone else my age be happy.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I'm guessing you're in the US ? I think that the protocol there is to ask for a referral to infectious diseases for a Cfs/Me diagnosis as it were?

There's a girl with ME at my daughters school in the UK who was allowed to study at home. My other daughter has a friend with ME who had it all her life and is able to manage it with resting and pacing and managed college. I think you need to make sure you don't overdo things when you do have energy. It's the same information we all have to try to abide by with this condition.

Insist on asking for the referral to infectious diseases and for more support from school. You need to get as much support as you can.

I completed a gcse maths course a couple of years ago and it took resting and taking it easy to manage to get to the exam. I've wondered how I managed it but, think it was partly also due to my feeling that it didn't matter if I didn't manage it, I was just seeing how far I could get. I also managed another course and again thought I will see how far I can get. It was just a couple of hours a week but I felt very poorly at that time. Again I managed it but, with extra rest etc.

I'm having what I call an in house weekend. I don't go out and try to do less and rest more. I'm a mum of 4 and my youngest daughter who is nearly 16, has special educational needs so, I have an awareness of how much a UK school can bend to accommodate children who need more support. She's on a part time timetable due to her getting overwhelmed. She's still due to take 6 exams as she wants to still do them. I know about the girl with ME because the school told me about the student due to me having cfs/me. I don't know if they're doing exams.

I truly hope you get some help with this.

Beverley

• Posted

Gosh 4 children and one with special needs ... I take my hat off to you I don’t know how you do it !! And completing 2 courses???

I don’t get moving until 2pm and literally just make it to buy food and back home . Maybe a short walk if I’m feeling adventurous . 

I’m having a terrible day but now a pretty good evening so much so I could have gone out tonight .... but thanks for reminding me that although we feel good ... we shouldn’t push it . 

It’s such a weird illness I cannot figure it out it makes no sense at all ... and for me I need to I understand things 😩

I’ll NEVER forget this time EVER it’s the weirdest most ill I’ve ever felt .

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Thankyou. I think I try to abide by the "keep calm and carry on " don't always get there though!

My pattern currently is bed at midnight ish, wake a couple of times for the loo and sometimes wait for sleep to return, and up about 7. Not because I want/need to but because of the school run. I'm also dozing off a couple of times in the day. I've been having feroglobin recently to see if that helps and it does but isn't a cure. I'm currently having an in house weekend where I do less and rest more as I need to right now as feel I've done too much recently.

Re: the courses. Both were in an evening and at that point in my life,I was able to rest alot in the day which helped but, again not a cure for symptoms! I feel it was much harder than I'd anticipated but, was glad I did it. I wanted to be a teacher before all this and needed maths so, decided to try see how far I could get. Sometimes we have to try to find out and I felt quite ill with it but was determined. I made sure my tutors knew from the offset that I was seeing how far I could get and that there was a chance I may not complete the course and they were cool with that. Sometimes my head wasn't engaged with it and I wondered if was such a good idea but, this was something for me and the struggle "seemed" worth it.

It is such a weird condition you're right! And symptoms shift and change in what seems random ways to me. Little things can throw things out of sync and I really wish I could manage a better time table so I could rest and pace more usefully at times.

Beverley

• Posted

Yes, I'm from the US, where health care is kinda a  mess. I have no idea what the protocol is. I can barely make my doctor take me seriously so that I can find out.

I don't think I'll be able to study from home, my state has strict attendance laws and if I want to work from home, I'm probably going to have to be homeschooled or work with an online school program.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter's friend was able to do college. That makes me very hopeful. Did she do her courses online or was she able to actually attend a university?

Next time I see my doctor, I plan to discuss a whole lot with her and put my foot down and say "ENOUGH HELP ME." I plan to email all of my teachers from school and explain what's going on in a more detailed way so that they can understand what's happening to me. I'm allowed more time to hang in assignments, but sometimes it's still not enough. Problem is, they need letters from doctors in order to provide me with extra support and getting letters from doctors is sometimes impossible when none of them take you seriously. It's great that you have been able to complete those courses, I'm so proud! I know how hard it is to get work done when you feel so poorly. Always remember to listen to your body and only do what you can. I have a hard time doing that, but I'm trying to be better about it. My heart goes out to you and your children.

One day at a time <3

• Posted

I know once I got  my blood test confirming Epstein Barr mono cfs I can now be taken seriously and referred to the right doctors !

I take them to every appointment so once you get a proper diagnosis you can start calling the shots !

Not saying they can cure you as there is no real cure apart from diet rest etc . 

But at least they aren’t looking at you like you’re crazy as once it’s on paper they take you seriously plus have sympathy for you .,

• Posted

The fact that you can stay up until midnight is a big deal so you must be getting better! 

You seem like a very calm and collected person and I do admire that .

I’m a bag  of nerves and so much anxiety due to this and due to also spending days and weeks alone .... not good for the mind .

I manage to just get through the day doing a few basic things this is definitely not a fun zone .

• Posted

Hi. I'm in the US, also. I'm having an awful time getting diagnosed, too. Seems doctors here think this is all in our heads.

I also homeschool our children. Homeschooling shouldn't be a problem for you. You just need to contact your superintendent of schools.

I really feel for you. You aren't alone.

• Posted

Aw thankyou Emma,

It is hard when you don't feel heard. I wasn't refered until 18 months after symptoms began. It was a friend getting refered that made me wonder if that's what I had. I have a good doctor but he was putting it down to my body recovering. Look up the symptoms of cfs/me and print them out. Highlight the sypmtoms you have and tell them you'd like a referral to a cfs/me services which may be infectious diseases.

I hope you get the support you need from school to study at home.

Yes, one day at a time!

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Not sure it means I'm getting better because I can stay up till midnight, think things change with this condition and right now my walking is really bad.

I try to keep calm but, sometimes it's not that easy! I'm getting better with myself though.

It definately isn't a fun zone no!

• Posted

I think so Beverley ! Yes I walk around the house like a zombie ... wash a dish then have to lie back down .

Yes it’s all up and down .. I was doing better July and August managed to have a bit of a life ... hopefully I’m going into post viral .

I stopped working out and seem to be worse 😩

• Posted

Sometimes it's hard to know what to do that won't trigger a payback response. I tried to do some swimming a few months ago. I didn't do it for too long and rested inbetween. I was floored for 10 days and had an appointment with a senior physio a couple of weeks later who explained that swimming was too much right now and that i oughta just try walking a little in the water which I haven't tried yet.

Zombie like is a good description. I often feel like that and sleep doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has the weather affected you in anyway? For some the hot weather makes people worse, others the cold has an affect.

Beverley

• Posted

I did a trip to see a very special dr 5 hours there 5 hours back but stayed overnight it took me 2 weeks to get over it ! I slept so well in the hotel but still I was exhausted .

This is ridiculous !! What we’re having to go through !! I just don’t understand it and it’s like we’ve been abducted by aliens . And the length of time it takes .... the ups and downs !!

I see now that I was doing well for a while there then plummeted again. At the time though didn’t know  I had EBV so maybe some of it is psychological . 

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I think that this condition is very changeable and in my case I wasn't aware I had cfs/me and went to the gym, swimming, yoga and pilates. I felt awful anyway was how I felt about it. I'd be mega spaced out and shakey and took it as easy as I could in my eyes and was exhausted. I wasn't aware I may be doing myself wrong.

I found public transport hard and got used to having to lay down across seats. I ended up having to cut back on everything. When out, I would slur, stagger and fall into things and this was a bit embarrassing as I felt people would you like think I was drunk! At present, I don't feel like people think I'm drunk but, my walking is bad and I aren't going out as much (my partner and I split up, we didn't live together and he wanted me to go over there more than him to mine) I try not to do things even when I'm feeling less ill but, that's the tough bit.

Sometimes i have to cancel meeting people or attending appointments at the last minute, something I really didn't do before. I'm less hard on myself about it than I was but still is frustrating. I have a wheel chair for really bad days where I have to go out though which was a tough choice but, my doctor agreed it was a good idea.

It takes patience with this condition and as most of us were busy and active people before onset, alot of adjustment. For me the odd cry too!

Be gentle on yourself and see it as temporary. I do even though I've had it a while. Also, ask for help when you need it. I found it hard to ask initially but, again are less hard on myself now. I also have a cleaner that comes once a week now which helps.

Beverley

• Posted

Having a blood test for EBV is a start. I tested positive and never knew that apparently I had it in my younger years. When it flares up, it will knock you down. That's when they lean toward CFS/ME.

Also, the sleep study is imperative. It will determine if you have sleep apnea. The doctors will jump up and down thinking they've cured you, once you're positive for sleep apnea. Well, let them have their eureka moment, lol.

The symptoms for CFS, EBV and Sleep Apnea are pretty much identical. Knocking one off the list will help. As will a diagnosis, so you can better understand what is happening to you.

Are you on any medications? If so, Google those side effects.

For me, I educated myself on the 3 above. Google was my best friend. Learned to Pace myself, learned to listen to my body, didn't beat myself up on the days that I could barely walk to the bedroom door. I eventually stopped taking all the prescriptions that added to fatigue. I now sleep a CPAP machine. I also changed eating habits. Since I stopped the meds that had to be taken before or with a meal, I now juice in the mornings. Because I stopped so much at the same time, I can't pinpoint if it was a certain meditation or a certain food or if EBV wasn't flaring. But, in a few months, I felt maybe 50 percent better. Whatever made the improvement, I'll take it!!

My heart goes out to you, even more so to be going through this at such a young age.Please keep us posted.

• Posted

I was tested for mono all the time when I was little. Due to fatigue. Like I said in my original post, it's almost like a virus slowly grew inside of me until now, where the virus has fully settled and I have mild/severe CFS. I think it could be a genetic thing becasue the fatigue started when I was only around eight or nine. I couldn't play in the schoolyard like the other kids becasue I was "tired and weak." No one is my family is like thi though, so I was no clue why I'm fatigued. I've additionally harmed by body in the past with anorexia and eating disorders. My hormones are out of whack too, I haven't had a real period in 3 years from my eating disorder, which I've recovered from and am actually overweight now. I've been to doctors about it, but all they can do is give me birth control, which makes me have bad chronic vomiting rolleyes

My illness is a puzzle that I am hoping to fit together, with or without the help of doctors.

I still think a sleep study is a good idea just to be sure it's not sleep apnea. If it is, at least I have some sort of idea of what's going on with me and know possible treatments.

No, I am not on any meds, besides vitamins, mainly vitamin D, My body does not do well with meds. I always get really bad side effects and it sucks lol.

I'm so glad you've gotten better!!!!! I hope I can too!! I eat pretty healthy and try to do small amounts of activity but it doesn't help. In fact, if I take a 10 minute walk sometimes, I feel like I need to be in bed for another few days. Which isn't useful becasue I really need to lose weight becasue I have PCOS, among other hormonal stuff that losing weight would help, but it's not really possible with this sort of fatigue. It's hard to pace yourself too with school because you have to abide by their schedule, not your own. Waking up at 6 am is killing me. Probably not going to school very much this week, if at all.

• Posted

I think diet plays a big part in healing I have cut out dairy and although I always ate healthy they say a diet full of fruits and vegetables is the best ... this is really all I ate anyway so go figure .

But cutting out the milk and eggs hopefully I will see a change . 

This illness also disturbs your sleep I wake up several times during the night and often even though tired wake up too early . I used to be a relaxed person who could sleep until 10.30 boy how I miss those days 😫

Now I wake up wired but tired ... 

• Posted

I have cut out dairy and most foods with gluten, and that has helped my nausea and IBS, but not the fatigue unfortunately. I could probably try to eat more fruit and vegetables though lol

I wake up a lot too, and I generally feel like I never get proper deep sleep becasue I'm always waking up. I'm not sure if that's from sleep apnea or what other sleep disorders would describe not being able to get proper deep sleep, I have no idea how that could be treated either. Sigh. Maybe my fatigue does have a cause that my doctors could fine, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. 

And same, even when I don't sleep well or much at all, I wake up far too early and can't seem to go back to bed.

• Posted

That’s so much like me ... it’s the virus it has you on edge all the time ! The only time I’m relaxed is at night when I’ve had a glass of wine some chocolate marijuana and a melatonin .... knocks me out but I wake up through the night . It’s awful .  Not giving up a glass of wine though ! 

• Posted

Pacing is a big deal. I screwed up today. Helped my daughter decorate for Halloween. Had been feeling good for about a week. Thought that I could do this. Haven't felt this bad in a long time. I knew better.

So, like I said earlier... Listen to your body.

It's easy to over do, when you are feeling better. Just don't do it. I'm going to be paying for this and now ticked off at myself. But, the house looks nice for the grandchildren 😉

• Posted

I know but ... you gotta have some kind of life !  I’ve been nowhere apart from a few local stores in 3 weeks and tonight did an ‘early’ dinner with a friend . I was tired but it was nice to talk to another human ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.