Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hopefully this is the place to get some answers 

I’ve had frequent urination problems and strong urine since changing my antidepressants last year.

I’ve had burning urethra also.

I’ve had every test and all comes back normal.

At the moment my bladder feels really strange it’s not sore but uncomfortable. I had a urine test this morning at the drs and all normal.

I went to a urologist and once again penis and bladder normal 

Anyone had similar it’s so frustrating 

Could it all be anxiety related it really worries me.

I also have very sensitive testicles had prostate checked once again normal.

When I pee sometimes my glow is fine then it sort of stutters slows down then normal again. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Presumably you have checked all the listed side effects of the antidepressant,
  • Posted

Perhaps a 2-week dose of sulfameth for starters-- in the event your prostate is inflamed. 

Too-frequent orgasms can trigger this -- and your symptoms are similar.

Good luck. 

• Posted

It could well be anxiety related.  You presumably were on anti-depressants for a reason and if that reason is still in the background your anxiety (or whatever) can show as pain in the pelvic area.  For women it's headaches but for man it's their groin - this is a fact you can look up!

I can't give links on here but check out things like the 'pelvic pain clinic', it's in London but the videos may help you. Also look for exercises to manage pelvic pain.  Most doctors are very happy to dish out ever stronger antibiotics to get rid of the causes of this pain when just de-stressing is all that's needed. Since all your tests have come back negative I suggest this is your way forward. This would also explain the sensitive testicles - the last thing you want is antibiotics for "suspected" epidiymitis or prostatitis as you will probably be given Cipro (a Fluroquinolone antibiotic) and this really can give you a problem to be depressed about (look on here for Fluoroquinolone Toxicity to see what I mean!).

• Posted

What antidepressant are you on ? Are you on any other medication for urinary problems . I have experienced a similar issue .  I’ve had urinary issues for some time , and have been helped by alpha blockers . However I noticed that the urinary issues increased as soon as I started taking antidepressants. Could be a coincidence and it’s not a recognised side effect as far as I can see . 
  • Posted

Some antidepressants and other psychiatric in addition to a lot of other medications can have an affect on urination, but antidepressants have the greatest effect out of all of those. There are more tests that you can do. You can have a cystoscopy and that can show if something is off with your prostate with more certainty since it looks at the inside part of it and will tell you if it is swollen. I had one cystoscopy come back normal and the other showed some minor inflammation and I was put on bladder installations which is medications put into the bladder for two months and that didn't have an effect. It is supposed to have some sort of effect after the fourth or fifth treatment. Prostatitis can come on in stages. First I had trouble urinating, then I had issues with frequency, and then the pain started to come on to the point where it is in several places down there. From my experience antibiotics will not do anything for prostatitis as they do not penentrate the prostate well or properly because of its anatomy. It has hard outer shell and is full of fat tissue where bacteria can become embedded within. What other symptoms do you have and how long have you had them? From the time I had an infection to the time I started experiencing the full set of my symptoms was several months. The latest one which really worries me is this minor leaking of urine that is continuous all throughout the day. I am at the point where I have failed so many treatments and had so many tests that I am finally doing a special test called videourodynamics to show what is really going on. Prior to that comes regular urodynamics. Those are the two main tests that a urologist will initially offer you which are cystoscopy and urodynamics. If anything is abnormal then look into it. Abnormal results on my urodynamics weren't taken seriously and now almost a year later after all these different useless treatments I am finally going for urodynamics. Just think with an open mind here. It could be more than just the prostate. It could be the muscles of the bladder and the sphincters which is what they are looking into for me. Just keep on top of it and seek out the best doctors you can because prostate problems can debilitate you and just drag on forever. Maybe ask for a semen culture to really see if there is bacteria. If they find it try the specific well penetrating antibiotics and if that doesn't work then I would go for the antibiotic injections straight into the prostate because they go right to the spot. Message me if you want. Prostate problems are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on anybody as they have completely left me hopeless. I'll let you know everything I've tried and learned along the way which is over two years going on three now. Hoping for a resolution soon. Be well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.