Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted a question early no one replied after my of meal of jacket potato I got a stinging in and throat it's so sore I've now been up all night with it ppi medication as not helped sipping water makes it worse any advice on how to calm it down would be very appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

sorry you feel that way! if the ppi meds are not working to relieve the pain i would suggest ibuprofen for the pain and maybe try peppermint tea? it can soothe the area and be good for your tummy. if you feel it is heartburn pain i always suggest zantac or pepto bismol

• Posted

If the pain is caused by acid reflux, acid rising in the esophagus in desperation this is what I do. Take a 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (alkaline) in 1/2 glass of water and when an attack happens take small sips. It takes a minute or two but alkaline neutralizes acid. Worth a try.

• Posted

thank you but would that be as effective as a PPI medication ? its really bad at the moment stinging my esophagus and throat had no sleep with it and feeling shattered 😩

• Posted

Hi The idea is to neutralize the acid as it rises in the throat. You only need small sips as an attack is happening, not to drink the whole glass! try it

• Posted

i have had GERD for the last 4 years now and take ppis every day and sometimes they just dont work for me. Everyones body is different and responds differently to medications. For me, peppermint tea and a zantac work! i dont put anything in the peppermint tea. Also, changing your diet is a must!

• Posted

I eat a very bland diet no spicey foods or coffee or chocolate I eat mostly fish fresh vegetables

• Posted

Gaviscon Advance creates a barrier on top of your stomach that helps keep acid down somewhat. That's one of the things that works best for me, especially at night. And yes, reflux is caused by food -- not by too much acid. You definitely need to read up on possible diet changes that could work for you. Some people cut out certain types of foods after experimenting for a few weeks to see what bothers them. For me, a low-carb (low fermentation, actually) diet worked best. The fewer carbs I eat, the less gas and acid reflux I experience. Good luck!

• Posted

Some people have trouble swallowing pills, they get stuck in the esophagus. If your last dose of PPi got stuck in your throat it would cause a nasty chemical burn. I would recommend swallowing liquid vitamin E. Just 3 or 4 drops every hour. And then only chicken broth for 24 hours. If you have a juicer you could juice organic vegetables, that would be even better. If you have not improved in 24 hours you should see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.