Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi is it possible that a bad thrush infection can spread to your urethra? i have red urethra with white discharge inside.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thrush can spread to anywhere! If you're on treatment for wherever it's spread from, that should fix it. If you're not on any treatment I suggest you get something sorted as a thrush infection can get out of hand. Natural live yoghurt applied directly to the affected areas (messy but true!) will provide some relief until you can get to the chemists. (The good bugs in the live yoghurt actually do do some work).

• Posted

yeah this is a very bad infection ive been using creams for it which have helped loads but its making my urethra tingle and feel like i have to go toilet alot

• Posted

That could well be from a UTI. You do need to go and get checked out. You may need something for a UTI and also something for the thrush, if it's got so it's spread whatever creams you're using aren't working. You seriously don't want it to get out of hand. Go to your doctor.

• Posted

i agree with miriam . thrush could cause uti . go to your gp . and get an antibiotic course atleast for 7 days . courses less than 7 days are most of the time just supress the symptoms and it gets back later . so please ask for 7-10 days course .

• Posted

what antibiotic would i take for thrush? i always getting uti they come back weeks after ive finished a course. chronic at this stage. i only started thrush treatment a few days ago.

• Posted

Thrush is not a bacterial infection so you can't take an antibiotic for it - you need an anti-fungal because it's caused by a fungus called candida. We all have tiny amounts of this in our gut and on our skin but when it gets out of control it causes a problem. Antibiotics are often the cause a thrush problem because they kill the bacteria which generally keep candida under control.

So, you have two problems now, one is the recurring uti and the other is thrush. Obviously the antibioics you've been taking for the uti are not the right ones. Have your doctors done an actual culture test to find out which particular bacteria is causing your uti? If they keep guessing, or giving you powerful broad-spectrum antibiotics (which hopefully will kill everything) the danger is you can end up with resistant bacteria that are then very hard to deal with.

Ask your doctor to culture your urine specimen because the UTIs keep coming back. Also ask for something to get rid of the thrush. Next time you are given an antibiotic to take make sure you take probiotics on the same days - but NOT within two hours before or after the antibiotic (or they will cancel each other out).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.