Help!! Abroad and have calf pain, twitches/spasms in legs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I recently took a long plane trip(2 hour flight followed by 8 hour flight) and am experiencing pain and odd sensations in my legs. During the plane ride, it was difficult to sit still because of pain in my lower back. Upon arriving, I did a good amount of walking the first day of my trip and woke up with sore legs the next morning. It has been four days(walking about 15,000 steps a day) and I still have pain in my calves(feels like they're about to cramp.) However, I only feel the pain after I stand up from sitting or laying down. It usually goes away after I've been walking for a bit. About two nights ago, the muscles in my legs began twitching frequently whenever I sit or lay down. My legs do not appear to be swollen or discolored.

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing these symptoms from all of the walking combined with a sore back from the plane ride. Do these symptoms seem like something I need to visit the doctor about. I am abroad in Italy so I would like to avoid going if it's not necessary. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not medically qualified, but have back problems, and if I walk much I have the same thing, in my case its in the muscles, twitching and stiffness, its lack of exercise with me.

I don't have it sitting or lying down either.

• Posted

I had a similar problem on a trip to Amsterdam from New York.Lots of walking but the pain decreased and eventually went away after a couple of days.Good Luck!

• Posted

I you are not used to this amount of walking or climbing uphill, and especially after the long plane flight it might be to be expected especially if you have some little nerve impingement in the back...which you can have without realising...and sitting too long makes you notice the symptoms more. If you feel better when you get going then that is a good sign, I'm sure. Best to pace yourself now...drop back on the number of steps maybe and build it up gradually if possible. If you are in the Cinque Terre(?) the unavoidable climbing up steps are "something else"! Only way to avoid was the coastal train as I remember!

• Posted

Hi,I am just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this ?.

I am having basically the exact same symptoms at the moment.

thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.