Help/advice needed !!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been back and forth my doctors for nearly two years but they won't take me seriously because of my age (30) they say I'm way to young to have RA but all the blood tests I've had have come back border line, I was diagnosed with a form of auto immune condition when I was 23. I tryed to explain that it has been flaged up as a gentic condition my father can pass on. After taking a letter from his geneticist saying they had to test me for RA along with other things they have agreed to send me to see a rumatoligist but won't help me with pain management. At the moment I can barely use my hand it's extremely painful and swollen paracetamol is doing very little to help can any one help me with managing the pain and swelling???

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

change your doctor. and if need be your rheumatologist. ive had it nearly 30 years. trust me. they're talking b****it. I'm 53 by the way.

• Posted

Hi there Anna Louise, my suggestion to you would be to get something in the line of an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen.This can be bought without prescription and will help to tide you over until you get to see the rheumy. I also use ice when I have a flare, it helps immensely with the pain and swelling. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

I can't take ibuprofen I'm allergic to it sad I'll try the ice tho

• Posted

That's unfortunate. There are other anti-inflammatories (e.g. Diclofenac) but unsure whether they can be got without prescription. Some of the pharmacists are very helpful in situations like this if you're near one?

• Posted

hi Anna Louis

as re; pain and swelling only immediate thing I can suggest is frozen peas. if you can't stand cold try water bottle wrapped in towel. over the counter I tried solpadeine. worked for pain but made me bit woozy. failing that in morning try chemists and buy a tens machine.theyre ok. better than nothing. hope it helps. some docs just so annoy sometimes. take care. ivan.

• Posted

Hi I was 36 when I was diagnosed with ra. Kids can b diagnosed with ra so I wouldn't have thought age came into it!! Re pain and inflammation, use ibprofen regularly, once it gets into your system it should help. I crave heat on my sore bits, like heat pads, these help me. Hope you get some relief soon. G.

• Posted

You can be diagnosed at any age change your doctor/practice I may be paranoid but I some times think it saves them (nhs) money for you not to be in the system
  • Posted

They are just showing their ignorance. You can get RA at 15, as threads on this forum will show.

They mix it up with OA, an altogether different kettle of fish.

Are you in the US? Ask for medical m*r*j**na, great for pain relief. Insist!

Or change your doctor.

You have a right to pain relief.

• Posted

Hi Anna Louis

You sound exactly like me in 2007 . I was attending my Gps for

two years with no diagnosis. I think he thought I was making it up .

Luckily I met a lovum doctor who listetubed to the fact I had had 2 viruses ,

food pois ion and shinges all before the age of 30 and he told me

Straight away I had an auto immune decease. Took a little longer to

Confirm RA but it was confirmed just before my 30th birthday.

My advise from myou mistakes is if your GP isn't listening to you , findo one who will.

Also a good rheumatologist should be the person managing your pain at this point.

UNeill you need to get the strongest anti inflammatories you

can make chat to a nice pharmacist if you can . And get to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible.

Good luck

Sinead

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.