Help advice needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've recently made a claim for income support and carer's allowance thinking my had the highest rate for care but got mixed up as its for mobility. I've been refused carers allowance because she being on the lowest for care. She's had her assessment for pip as it's being changed from Dla she's still waiting on her decision. I care for my mum every day over 35 hours in a week. Am I still able to continue my claim with income support while she's awaiting her pip claim

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also care for my mom for more than 35hrs a week, my mom applied for pip when she was waiting for a decision I was claiming income support so yes you can claim income support while she's waiting for a decision you only loose your income support if she is not awarded pip or I'd she is not awarded the living compartment. My mom was not awarded pip unfortunately so I lost my income support and was refused carers allowance due to her not being awarded it. My mom is currently on ESA and were waiting for a decision on the outcome of her assessment. So if your mom does not get pip you will loose your income support but if she's awarded the daily living you will continue to get your income support.

• Posted

HI Leanne,

To be able to claim Income Support you must either have a child under 5 or claim Carers Allowance. If none of these apply then i'm afraid you won't be able to claim it.

If your mum has an award of mid/high rate care DLA then you'll be able to claim it for her BUT if she claims an Income related benefit as well as this she could be claiming Severe Disability Premium (SDP) if she does then claiming Carers Allowance for her will stop this premium. My advice is to find out exactly what your mum claims first before putting in the CA claim.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.