help, advice re blood test results

Posted , 3 users are following.

GP found sugar in a urine sample. Had fasting blood sugar but asked nurse to do a fingerprick test at the same time result was 6.7 (pre diabetic I think) But I have just rung for my lab result and it is only 5.3! Is this normal to be so different?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Pre-diabetic BG levels can vary quite a bit during the day depending upon when you have eaten and what you have eaten.

This is why people with full-blown diabetes like myself have to be very careful what they eat.

A reading of 5.3 sounds quite normal to me as does a reading of 6.7 (depending upon when and what you ate).

If I were you I would not get too worked-up about it at the present moment, as your doctor should know at exactly what stage you are at after he has received the result of your HBA1c blood test, and take any action that is deemed necessary at that time.

If you are considered pre-diabetic/ diabetic you will no doubt be meeting your surgery's diabetes nurse who will run through the 'does and don'ts' with you, but once again I have to stress that you have nothing to worry about.

This is because if you are on the verge of becoming a diabetic there is no proactive action that can be taken to stop it, and likewise if you are a diabetic then there is retroactive action that can be taken to get rid of it as it is all a matter of managing it all correctly. 

• Posted

Thanks but the GP only seems to have seen the lower level result and no further action is required apparently. I suppose I will have to wait and ask for another test in 6 months or a year and just watch my diet and exercise in the meantime

• Posted

An HBA1c test is a 3 month historic test of your glycated haemoglobin usually performed every 6 months if the trend is towards diabetes. The higher the level the more likely you are to have developed diabetes, so this is probably how your doctor decided that you are pre-diabetic or just on the verge of it.

The standard treatment for pre-diabetes is diet and exercise, but don't go at it like a bull in a china shop, otherwise life will not be worth living.

All the best

R

• Posted

I have been to my doctor a few times, well in truth not a doctor a nurse the doctor just looked at the results and said I had  diabete's. I went the other day and my last blood test showed I had a reading of 4.9 and I had been trying with diet and excersise but that did not work. I had taken nearly a stone of weight off but the medical said my bloods are not right so I am now on a tablet twice a day. I am also on a statin as well. It seems the goverment dropped the levels for diabete's and loads of people are falling into the criteria. I felt fine. so there you have it damned if you do and damned if you dont. I did get tore into them about the level of support. Stating at no time had I seen anyone or been offered anything with regards to diet, advice or even a doctor. The reply was that they thought I would look it up on the internet. I asked what are you getting paid for. I am now going on a course living with diabetes and a couple of other things. My advice is to anyone sit there nice a quiet and let them do there bit go hame. On your 2nd trip to the clinic or what ever explode  in there faces, dont threaten or anything like that, just say that you feel your treatment is appaling, support appaling advice appaling and what are they going to do about it, you will get all sorts of results. Thats what I have done. Its sad to say, but the first time I went I got the feeling I was just a number.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.