help/advice with greasy hair.

Posted , 3 users are following.

About this time last year, I noticed my hair was thinning abit. I was 25 male at the time.

At the time I had a long mop, and I was just about to wash my hair because it was greasy and the light is less than a foot above my head in the bathroom mirror.

I panicked

I was using a 2 for 1 shampoo and conditioner conbination shampoo which I had used for years.

But because I panicked

I brought and tried many different shampoos

I brought

-A Caffeine shampoo that is meant to stop hairloss

• Thickening shampoo
  • volumising shampoo
  • hair repair with keratin shampoo as well as the conditioner
  • A diferent 2for 1 shampoo
  • an anti residue shampoo
  • -anti itch scalp

over a period of about 4-6 weeks I would wash my hair nearly everyday. I first used the thickening shampoo but did not see any difference so brought the caffeine shampoo, I used as the instructions said and would wash my hair nearly everyday. every time I used it, i would my scalp tingle like itwanted to be itched. but I ignored it. It also made my hair feel rough. I used it for about 2-3 weeks, The tingling would really peak if I was sweaty. I ran my hand through my hair and noticed a lot of dandruff fall. I aksed my mum to look and said that looked like dandruff and some of my scalp looked red.

I stopped using that everyday and started using an anti itch scalp shampoo until the redness had gone away. I also looked onlinewhat else could help so I brought and anti residue shampoo and used that. then used the anti itch shampoo after as that is what the instructions said.

However, the shampoo did make my hair feel soft but it made the dandruff worse and the itchiness was bad as well.

I used the anti itch shampoo for a few days a week and the caffeine shampoo the rest ofthe time.

I decided to get haircut, I went from long mop to short mop with the idea to go shorter each haircut.

i noticed around this point that my hair was getting greasy the day after washing so I was washing everyday still but was mainly using the anti itch shampoo. But was everyday

In April I did not wash my hair for around 5-7 days as I had nothing on and try to gain a bit if balance back.

I decided to wash my hair 3 times a week, Monday, wed and fridays, saturdays only if something was happening.

My hair would get greasy so I guessed I had done some damage to it and brought a repair shampoo and conditioner with keratin in it and is smelt really nice.

In May I started therapy for depression, something I have battled for years, the sessionswere on a Tuesday, and I did not want to risk having greasy hair going to see her so I swapped the days from monday to Tuesday and then would wash my hair either wed or thursday.

I would use the repair shampoo and conditioner on the Tuesday amd then just a shampoo inbetween then on the friday a little bit of anti residue shampoo and sometimes just shampoo sometime repairshampoo and conditioner.

I did notice that after using the conditioner on the second day my hair did look dull and sort of greasy

If I remember correctly I started to grow my hair out as well and just wash my hair on Tuesday and Fridays and if I was going out special.

This continued through the summer months and then I swapped the shampoo and conditioner to a different one as I had ran out.

I continued to just use the shampoo Tuesday and Fridays and use the conditioner on Tuesday and experimented when to use the conditioner and how.

After I finished therapy in October, probably in November I ran out of the conditioner and just used the shampoo, I noticed depending on what I did my hair did not look as bad as if I had used the conditioner on the second day

I would use a brush which I would try and clean every so often, but I think my brother was using it as well.

I did not have a haircut from November ish to march as I was trying to grow my hair out.

I ended up getting a bit fed up with the longer hair as it was not growing that much or appeared to be growing really slowly so in March I had it cut to a short mop.

By the second day I have noticed my hair does look greasy.

Probably from last year I would "scrub" on my scalp with my finger tips to try and clean it when I amusing the shampoo. Could I have been causing too much oil to be produced?

I have also brought a comb

I have stopped using a conditioner.

I am washing 2-3 times a week

I am using an anti dandruff shampoo called vosene medicated to help with the dandruff, however I did always find that made my hair rough compared with the 2for1 shampoo think it was called wash&go but that couldve made my hair feel a bit better because it had conditioner in it as well

What other options can I take to try and make my hair less greasy? and less "dandruffy"

Could it just be that my hair is naturally greasy and needs more washing and that it is not as thick or as long as it once was it takes more washing?

Could also change pillow cases more often help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try a 'dry shampoo' for inbetween days. That will help absorb any grease. That's what alot of women will use. If I were you I would see a dermatologist about the dandruff. They can tell you what you should be using to get it under control. And lastly, try to stop obsessing about it! Enjoy your 20s, go out and have fun!

• Posted

i may try that

Does short hair need washing more due to it being shorter?

• Posted

The length of your hair shouldnt make a difference. Sometimes you can make dandruff worse by washing your hair too much. because it dries your scalp out and thus creating your body to make more oil, probably why your hair gets greasy. A good derm can recommend soecial shampoo to use to help with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.