Help/ advise please !!!!! ******

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,   

I haven’t been on this site for months!! However I’m Wanting advise on what to do. I have been taking Citalopram for a year now. Don’t get me wrong I am SO much better than what I was. But I’m still not 100% recovered. These past few months I’ve stil had slight anxiety feelings / thoughts. I still get down often. Like I don’t feel happy , at all. 

I don’t get positive feelings , like ever !

These tablets have helped a lot but I don’t know whether I’m on the right tablets ?

Advise please would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mia x  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A year is a long time. I think a trio to the Drs us needed to review all your symptoms and your meds. Have you had any counselling or CBT therapy??
  • Posted

I would suggest switching to sertraline, it’s one of the best meds for anxiety and intrusive thoughts .

I know this is a big step , but after a year you should be 100% however people with depression and anxiety or panic disorder, even though we recover we can still get really down days, or a really down week, it called blips, but if you are constantly feeling that way maybe a higher dose may help? 

What dose are you on now?

• Posted

Hi there. I think this is a case of 'each to his own'. I was treated for anxiety about a year ago using the drug Sertraline, at my own request, which didn't go down at all well. It produced side effects which replicated and magnified the existing anxiety symptoms  and just about drove me out of my mind. On the suggestion of a family friend, a psychiatrist, I switched to Citalopram (30 mg per day) and this has suited me very well and got rid of most of the anxiety.  I think it's worth having a go at other possible anti-anxiety medications In the hope that one can be identified which is just right for you. Interestingly, this is a 'mirror image' of Lattifa's advice and proves that  different drugs suit different people! Best of luck, Donald   

• Posted

Hi Mia

I also replied to your pm to me.  What dose are you on as it could well be the dose is too high for you?  Some people suffer with constant side effects when the dose is too high and a slight reduction can remedy this.  Always worth adjusting meds before thinking of swapping meds.

If you do decide a change in meds is worth a try then your doctor will probably do a cross taper (slowly reducing one meds and introducing the new one) ..... to minimise side effects / withdrawal.

Years ago I was on Seroxat which were really great for me, but I suffered terrible anger issues on them and after a year I was swapped to another one and the problem was sorted.  

But yes - try a small dose change first.  We're all different so all suit different meds and doses.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.