Help after uterine fibroid embolization

Posted , 5 users are following.

A little background first, I was originally diagnosed with fibroids around 8 years ago(age 30).  I expected it as every woman in my family has had a hysterectomy.  My only sympton was a slightly heavier period and the final straw was the last 2 periods that lasted around 2 weeks each.  I had so many small ones that my gyno couldn't tell me how many there were so I opted for a myomectomy.  Procedure went great - incision at the bikini line.  Everything was fine until 4 years ago, my new gyno told me that they were growing again.  I knew that this was a possibility but as I wasn't having any symptoms, I chose to leave them be.  A year ago, they experienced a serious growth spirt and I began having issues extremely heavy bleeding, long periods, severe iron deficiency, tiredness, and last but not least the protruding stomach.  Of course, she wanted me to have a hysterectomy and again I said no.  I have/had 3 large ones an a ton of small ones.  My stomach was so big that she said that I would have to be completely cut open from above the belly button down to my original incision and I believe that I looked to be 4-5 months pregnant.  I couldn't stomach that so I tried a few home remedies.  Black strap molasses - couldn't stomach the stuff.  Castor oil packs and ACV - I didn't stick with that long enough to notice any benefit.  Essaic tea and progesterone cream did help slow down the heavy cycles and made cycle-time bearable again.  I tried serrapeptase enzyme for a short time but not long enough to see any benefit or even to feel as if it was helping.  No I don't want any more children but I still refuse to have a hysterectomy.

In January 2016, I had an UFE.  I guess that it was successful as I really haven't had a heavy cycle yet but I have a couple of questions that my male doctors can't really answer.  

My stomach has gone down slightly but not enough to be noticeable.  I actually measured before and after the procedure to check for any results.  I know that it's vanity but I miss my flat stomach.  I know that this procedure does not shrink them 100% but is there anyone 4-6 months or so out, that can provide any type of information about the long term results?  Also, the leg where they "plugged up" my artery, every now and then, it still feels "weird".  Is that normal?

Would trying natural remedies now actually help?  I started taking serrapeptase again recently and I do workout regularly(cardio & strength training).  I try to drink plenty of filtered water.  My diet consists of a mix of 75% organic/mostly natural foods with the rest being the "bad" stuff.  I do drink coffee and alcohol on a regular basis.  I'm trying to limit dairy and am struggling for my morning latte.  I do eat a bit of cheese but other than that, I'm not a big dairy fan.  

I'm just looking for ways to continue to get these things out of my life without settling for a hysterectomy. 

Anyone have any ideas or have you tried anything that seems helpful?

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your story. The only thing I notice you haven't mentioned trying is Esmya tablets (ulipristal acetate 5mg daily) which can help to try to shrink fibroids. Results are variable and unique to each person. Fairly new to being licenced for intermittent use. They have to be prescribed.    

• Posted

Thanks Shell!  

I hadn't ever heard of Esmya until I started reading through the posts on this website.  I'm going to research it a bit and make an appointment with my Gyno.  Appreciate it!

• Posted

Hi kje I also had the UFE in Jan 2016. My IR told me not to expect any reduction on my stomach until 6 months post op which for me will be 18 July (it was done 18 Jan) but like you I want to see results sooner my stomach has gone down a bit but I'm hoping for a lot more. . I have a large Fibroid(5 months pregnancy size) my periods have improved a bit heavy instead of flooding. So my answer is to wait and see. I was really disheartened to read your post until I saw that you had it done in January. So hope you get all the reduction in size and more. And good for you for refusing a Hysterectomy if I had my way no woman would be offered it as the only option to treat Fibroids. Don't trust Gynocologist now. I have to see one at my follow up appointment so If the mention Hysterectomy i will bombard them with questions such as 'why do you make women have their cervix and ovaries out when you are doing a Hysterectomy? they expect me to trust them. No chance.

• Posted

Hi Patricia.  Thanks for responding.  Mine was January 19, so we are in the same timeline for expecting some results.  Fingers-crossed and positive thoughts for both of us!  biggrin
  • Posted

Hi All, it's 7 months now and I'm wondering if you have any updates on how you feel post embolisation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.