Help and Advice about Propanalol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on 40mg of propanalol twice a day. Been on it well over 4 weeks and take it to stop the side effects of Sertriline (was getting serous panic attacks) One problem I still have is not sleeping which I thought was the Sertraline but after reading what Weeasy says in another post it could be the propanalol, I'm not sure!

I've been on Sertraline about 6 weeks now and it's starting to have good effects so this morning I didn't take the propanalol.... feel a bit light headed but not had any adverse effects, I'm also not planning on taking my second dose later. Anyone know if this is a wise decision or should I reduce slowly?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I take this twice a day.. 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night. I've had no side effects so far. Been on them a week.. I also take a water pill now due to high bp.. I would try to take one around 4 with food. Don't stop it completely.. My doc said to make sure I eat with it.
    • Posted

Thanks, wasn't told to eat food when I take one but that makes sense.

I believe I'm taking them for different reasons to you and as the side effects from the Sertraline have hopefully gone now I couldn't see any point in taking them. I might just take half a tablet later (20mg) and see if I'm able to sleep better.

• Posted

I take them for my bp and for headaches. But have noticed my anxiety is getting better. I take 10 mg lexapro and ativan as needed.
    • Posted

Hi, I have been on propranolol 40mg 3 x a day for 4 months now for panic attacks and at first I found that sleep was hard and I kept waking throughout the night but easily got back to sleep. I take mine with food, even just a biscuit as it works better I was told. Also if I take it later than 8pm I find it hard to sleep so maybe take one in morn with breakfast then one at teatime. I'm also on sertraline 50mg
    • Posted

Hi Vikki thanks for the advice! I've been taking my second tablet after 9pm at night which as you say might be the problem. I'm planning on taking half of one soon (20mg) at tea time then half twice a day for a week and see how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi yes it def helps with the physical side of panic ie, fast heart beat, sweating, headache and trembling. I'm going to start cutting down soon x
    • Posted

Yeh it's def better than it was, but I've started sertraline 3 wks ago so when I've been taking that for 6-8 weeks I'm going to start cutting it down x
  • Posted

Hiya

I am on my 6th day of this and I am only to take it once a day with food but I have had trouble sleeping the last 3 nights because the tablets give me such a dry mouth/throat I seem to wake in the night to take water before I can go back to sleep

I am hoping it stops soon as I can't cope with broken sleep x

• Posted

Yes that is very normal, it will even out by week 2. Try not to take it late at night as it disturbed my sleep also 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.