Help and advice for new starter

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, this is my first time here so please be gentle. I am 32 years old and starting Orlistat very shortly, maybe tomorrow. I have been so good for ages, cutting down on everything bad for me. I went to the doctors today and was prescribed the blue pills to help. Thinking I would start tomorrow (16th Nov) I went and enjoyed a final meal with something good in it (okay, bad).

I know maybe I shouldn't, but when I got weighed today I was in such despair I went to eat as I always used to, for comfort, and, to wave goodbye to the past.

It was only then reading on here that past people have found that this pill affects what you have eaten already, and not just the day you started. As I had this bad meal today (Monday 15th) am I best to wait until a few more days for my system to clear?

Yes I am very overweight, and I am assuming the \"TANGO\" factor will immediately surface for me as I am as delicate with food as a china doll is with children about. I am desperate for the help, and I really need this, so yes, I know I was wrong to do it, but I wanted to end the past and start a new beginning.

Please, give me some help and tell me if I will be okay starting these tomorrow. I work tomorrow all day so any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Simon

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend following a low fat diet for the next few days following the rules of the tablet - no more than 30g fat per day with no more than 15g fat in any one meal, after a few days take the tablets with the low fat diet, that way you should avoid the tango situation.

You should not encounter the tango unless you exceed the fat limits, I have been on these for over a year and have not experienced it because there is no need to - you should be really trying as hard as possible to avoid it!

You need to be checking the fat contents of everything you consume, take some extra time when shopping to look at labels and in a few weeks you'll have a real handle on what you can and can't have

Good luck

• Posted

I think a lot of us find eating a very emotional issue, I am trying not to beat myself up about it but just to think \"oh well, never mind, back on track tomorrow\"

Good luck Simon

• Posted

Welcome Simon, I'm sure you'll do just fine. I've been on the tablets for 6 weeks and, sticking to the 30g of fat a day I haven't experienced the Tango. I've taken a couple of days off for special events, eg a wedding, where I knew I couldn't have control over what I ate.

I agree with the others, we all have mental challenges to overcome, possibly more so than physical. I think it will take some time before I get over the urges to snack on bad things if I come off the tabs but that is the aim. I want to have what a counsellor would call a normal relationship with food, something I need to have to live but not the biggest thing in my life. Sorry, got a bit heavy an carried away there smile

I did wait a couple of days before starting the tabs as I have a 90 min drive to work and didn't want to get caught short, but it was fine.

Keep us up to date with your progress

• Posted

hello simon and welcome

im on my second week of the little blue pill,im pretty suprised at how well im managing. i turn my nose up at take aways, sweets and choclate pfft never look at them haha. keep popping on here for support read threw old threads for advice and you will do great. im so glad i found this forum it has helped me heaps.

good luck G x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.