help and advice needed

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi I'm wondering if anybody can help me I need some information on my thyroid. I had a blood test taken early February Mike TSH was 6.89my T4 was 13.2 I then had another blood test a month later and myTSH was 6.47 my T4 was 12.2 I originally went to the doctors with various different symptoms such as exhaustion fatigue,unable to bear the cold weight loss.at my second blood test the doctor also did antibodies the thyroid pyroxdose test came back at 609 the doctor eventually agreed to trial me on 50 µg of levothyroxine.I have been taking this for two weeks but now she wants to do a cortisol test which I have done and has now come back at 501 but I'm now waiting for a further cortisol suppression test. I believe from what I have read it is Hashimoto's.please help I need some advice on what is wrong with me if any professional advice or anybody with similar circumstances can help it would be very much appreciated thank you

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi emma12357,I had that test done when I was being checked for Cushing's.However,I would suggest you contact your GP,asking what this test is for because you are worried.If necessary,ask for the doctor to call you back,or ask at the surgery reception what email address they have,and in the subject line,put for the attention of your GP.Please keep in touch.I will reply.Gill
    • Posted

Hi Gill, thank you so much for replying. The doctor has not been much help all she says is that she wants to rule things out. When I look it up it comes up with some scary stuff that make me more anxious. I just do not seem to be getting any where fast . It's so frustrating 
  • Posted

He Emma,iIt is good your doctor is starting you on thyroxine. It should take about 10 days to kick in, so have you noticed an improvement since you started taking it? Keep a record of your symptoms so you can see improvements or worsening over time. If you don't feel better, ask for an increase. 50 is a very low dose.  Your T4 seems at the low end of the range and it should be at the higher end. T3 is the active hormone, but most doctors don't see the need to test for that. The thyroid antibodies are high, which suggests the auto immune version of an under active thyroid. Too much cortisol interferes with the production of thyroid hormones, so that could be why your doctor is requesting a cortisol test. Thyroid Friends on Facebook is a good site with lots of knowledgeable people, as is Thyroid UK, which has a health blog on Health Unlocked. 
    • Posted

thank you so much for replying, my doctor has refused to do a t3 and says they do not do them. 

With my symptoms I'm still not sure it's made a difference as yet, but I do seem to have good and bad days that come in big waves if that makes sense. It's  intresting to know that my T4 should be on the higher range as all I get out of the doctor is that it's not that bad... I'm so fed up I don't know weather I'm coming or going, I just want to feel better. I'm off work at the minute too I just want to feel normal again. 

I think I have Hashimoto's but not sure that's just from reading bits and pieces. The ranges for the cortisol test on the high end is 535 apparently and mine is 501 so on the high end of normal. Again not sure what that would mean for me ? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.