Help and advise..

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism the doctors started me on 25 mg after 2 weeks I was put on 50 mg and told I would need blood tests again in feb.. The reason I'm putting this up is because for the last 4 yrs I've had constant throat clearing and a cough that has gone undiagnosed I've taken lots of medication but nothing worked until I started taking the thyroxine which seems to have reduced the symptoms. Has anyone out there had these symptoms could it have been related to the thyroid not working.. Any advise would be great thanks.. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think that I had all sorts of odd symptoms before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  Carpel tunnel syndrome being one.  I would just wait and  see until you are medicated to the appropriate level.  You may be fortunate and the throat issue will disappear along with increased energy levels. All the best,Maggie
  • Posted

The only thing that occurs to me is that I have read that acid reflux is related to Hashimoto's disease.  I would just keep bringing it up with the doctor until you get an answer you can accept.
  • Posted

Hello, I read your post with interest.  I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years now age 67.  I have been on 125mg of leveothyroxine for most of this time.  My blood test results have been much the same over the years except the last 2 years my TSH has gone down.  I think this is because I have been taking Vitamin D3 after a wrist fracture when I was found to be low on this vitamin.  I have various health problems and during the last few months I have suffered throat clearing,throat mucus (the worst symptom) cough etc.  You may or may mot have heard of silent reflux or LPR which I what I think I may have.  I am now waiting for a referral to ENT to have a look at my throat.  I have long since thought that all the symptoms are in part related to the thyroid although of course I am no expert.  It is correct I believe that you have been started on a low dose then upped slowly.  It does seem in your case that your thyroxine is helping your throat symptoms.  LPR is linked to hypothyoidism.  You do not mention your age or symptoms or what your blood test results are.  You do need to be patient as it takes time to get the dose right.  On the other hand don't be fobbed of if you still don't feel well.  I hope that your throat problems continue to improve.  Every one this forum has their own story am I am sure like myself will try and give you advice on any questions you may have.  Try looking at Thryoid UK it has a lot of information and a chart showing you blood test results.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry very new at this. I'm 39 and all I can remember from my bloods is that my antibodies level was 131. I've been trelated for silent reflux although I was thinking that it was more than simple reflux as the tablets they gave me didn't relive the sypmtoms, I found that I was better without them. I felt I was going crazy as I was going to doctors with loads of different things.  ie joint pain, weight gain, cramps I even told them that my nails had started to split and they looked at me like I was crazy ( My nails have always been strong) I didn't tell them about the crying over silly things or the forgetfulness as I was worried they would try and put me on antipressents. I was finally tested for thyroid problems by the hospital and since starting the thyroxine I noticed the throat clearing ease which is a big deal as it's been giving me a problem for years, I am hoping that it is the medication that is giving me the relief that's why I thought I would ask others to see if they have had that as a syptom to....

thanks for the info as I said this is all new to me so I'm not really sure what to expect in the future, I will have a look at thyroid uk and also keep a record of my bloods to..  Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi I think many of this on this forum have been to our gp's with loads of differents symptoms.  Mine at the beginning was feeling the cold, aching and tiredness.  I still feel the cold and my nails which were great prior to the diagnosis split vertical and I have to keep them short.  When you go to Thyroid UK you will see that the list of symptoms is very long.  Hang on in there it is early days.  Do keep in touch on the forum. 
  • Posted

Hi, if you have a chronic cough, check out te symptoms of whooping cough, its been doing the rounds recently. I was getting worried that my cough of 4 months wasnt clearing, but doc has diagnosed whooping cough. X
  • Posted

I advise you to read up on the symptoms of Hashimotos disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.