Help - Anxiety Chest Pain or acid reflux?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys,

I think I’m going crazy.

I have had chest pains on the left side of my chest for the last couple of months now. I have it on and off every day. It’s either right in the middle at the bottom of my rib cage or up at the top below the first rib.

I have had a couple of ECG’s, xray, echocardiogram, and various blood tests. Everything has come back normal but as soon as I have the pain I go back to thinking there is problem. The doctors have said its anxiety related and 7 weeks ago put me on 40mg of citalopram.

The citalopram has really helped my worrying but it’s not taken away the pain. A couple of people have said that it could be due to acid reflux but can acid reflux give you a pain that radiates all over the left side of my chest and arm?

I feel slighty lost at the moment to be honest and I just want to enjoy life.

Andy

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ye you should enjoy you live it is anxiety related the pain does go away I had chest pain for a few months was mad but now it's gone still get other symptoms only a few now tho headaches aches in arms it will go 
  • Posted

i had acid reflux on citalopram and was put onto omeprazole to deal with it.

discuss the pains with your doctor - even if you just telephone rather than make an appointment - it would be worth it, in case it is due to the tablets and they can give you something to deal with the side effect.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Griffin, I would ring your GP to be on the safe side you can speak to them on the phone. I have acid reflux and I haven't had those symptoms, It sounds more like anxiety to me. 
  • Posted

hi griffin

i had acid reflux, the symptoms i feel are chestpain, burping, vomiting, difficulty on breathing sometimes,,

• Posted

Hi, I too have had terrible chest pains, radiating into my arm and have severe indigestion..... I had never really thought about it being linked to anxiety until now. I have been to my GPs and they have perscribed meds for acid reflux and they have worked. The first time it happened was so scary, the GP gave me an ECG to reassure me it wasn't my heart! My anxiety has always been health related but this summer has been worse! You aren't going crazy, the reality is that we are overloaded by the media of terribly sad stories about people who are misdiagnosed etc and for some of us it lingers there. Hope you feel better soon and try gaviscon advance for the indigestion, it may take the edge off!

• Posted

Im not sure! My dr give me diazapam 5 and my anxiety still messes with me, ive had many eco's ekg's and monitors, 30 day,60 day,even 90 day....

Never found anything wrong, when i get stressed it is way worse, palpitations, fear, thinking somethings wrong, ER visits like crazy, i could go on cause i have other stuff from anxiety.

Ive had it since i was 17 and im 33 now, i left mine untreaded because i didnt know they could help me, just started getting help and test 3 years ago

If you have any questions i might be able to give advice but im not a Dr. smile

• Posted

Mine also like you I feel chest pain back pains then Im always vomiting sour . My doctor said Its acid reflux and anxiety . The more I think the more my acid and anxiety fights so it cause chest pain d back pain
  • Posted

I have the exact same thing it’s been going on for 2 years and it’s just making me suffer sad it never goes away I thought I was alonecuz doctors can never figure it out I know it’s caused by anxiety I am on medication for my anxiety but the pain never actually goes away feels like under my left rib almost like something is in the pushing from the insideits very uncomfortable and very scary I just wanna cry I would give anything to feel normal again :’( have you found anything helped since I notice this post is old but I need help 
  • Posted

Please reply back if you can , if it’s still happening or if you found something to cure it 
  • Posted

I feel like my left side in my

Rib at the bottom feels pulled down , tight and pressure and I’ve had the heart tests and nothing it’s so scary and it really screws with your mind and makes everything feel life threatening and I developed hypochondria in my opinion because of this I always think I have so many things wrong with me 

• Posted

I have the same thing.  Started with a major traumatic health event last July.  Since that time, have had issues, probably associated with anxiety, stress and depression. But developed hypochondria thinking I had every disease under the sun.  Every commercial I saw on any disease, I had or developed the symptoms.  Your brain is very, very powerful and can make you think or feel all sorts of things that simply aren’t true.    I do have acid reflux and taking Protonix for that. But will have problems taking a full breath, then when I try to take a full breath, have a pain or twinge.  Often in chest or back, or in left lower rib area like yours. Then I think anxiety kicks in and I panic when I can’t breath.  Panic especially when it is in middle of chest.  Been panicked enough to go to ED handful of times over past several months.  Each time, normal ekg. Have had chest X-rays, ct scan, even had an angiogram in January and it was good.  Blood work has always come back normal.  Last time, doctor indicated he couldn’t think of anything else to test for.  Have had urine and stools checked. All good.  Have talked to a therapist who told me that many times anxiety can cause our body to be hypersensitive to pains that we probably didn’t even notice or think about before the anxiety, which makes sense.  I am at point where I believe docs have ruled out physical issues other than the reflux, so going to look at meds to help with the mental issues.  The problem is that many times what is going on is physically real. You feel it, so it is hard to accept that it is something coming from your brain, or a normal sensation being magnified by your brain.  I do take Xanax now as needed and it really helps when I am in full blown panic about not being able to breath.  But think it is just a short term fix.   I need to stop the root cause.  If your doctor has done a complete work up and everything looks normal, you have to trust him or her.   I’ve been trying meditation lately which helps short term, but still have anxiety/depression issues that need addressed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.