HELP!!!! ANYONE!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am going on three weeks with the most horrible pain down my leg and into my foot I can't do anything and I am so tired of being in pain all day every day I barely sleep and work is torture because I am a machinist and I am on my feet for 8 to 10 hours a day I've tried cold compresses I've tried Epsom salt and steaming hot water I can't get into a primary care physician until mid April and I'm tired of going to the hospital because all they do is give me the same medicine that does not work I have been recently told to use gabapentin.. I am so tired of being in this pain I am literally ready to cut my leg off does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to at least ease the pain just a little bit!?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yeah...chiropractor.  If your sciatica is caused by a misalignment of your spine or hip, or by locked SI joints, a chiropractor can have you back to normal in 3-4 weeks @ 2-3x/week.  A few times, I had a sciatic nerve "pinch" fixed by a simple, two-second "pretzel twist" on a chiropractor's table.  Instant relief.  That's easy...and no GP or drugs will help this kind of problem.

If, however, your sciatic pain initiates from your spine in the lumbar region, then no chiropractor can make a difference.  Now you need an MRI or CT/Myelogram with contrast to find the problem which only a neurosurgeon (NOT neurologist) can fix.  I had a bone spur "crushing" (doc's word) my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Simple laminectomy, same day surgery, instant relief, no rehab.

So...  What you need to do is find the root cause of your pain.  Chiro can do an x-ray and see if there's anything he/she can fix.  If yes, you're golden.  If not, next stop is a neuroSURGEON.  I had that laminectomy 5 years ago and then an L3-S1 fusion in 2015 plus tons of sciatic incidents over the years fixed by chiropractic.  I've been down this road many times.

• Posted

I was experiencing the same pain and the only thing that worked for me FINALLY that gave me some relief were Icy Hot back pain patches and a roll on stick called StopPain!!
  • Posted

First of all I feel for you man. I'm a teacher and also on my feet all day. My sciatica was from a narrowing of the space between L5 and S1. Off work 6 weeks with pain. Lost 10 lbs. I tried a bunch of self pain relief experiments for the pain in my left hip, left buttoks, down the back of my left leg, into my entire left foot. I was using a cane, walker and crutches for the first 3 months. Chiroprator, Acuepunture/pressure, Rx narcotic, ... nothing worked. What I did was heating pad on the back, followed by ice packs. Compression socks during the day. Massaging my own leg, seating on a tennis ball while driving to put pressure on the pain in my butt, and sleeping with a pillow under my thighs. Curcumin (a supplement) is supposed to lubricate the discs in your back. I am taking Zolpedim Tartrate (also Rx) to help me sleep. I'm stretching a lot as perscribed by a physical theripist.

My pain was really bad for about 5 months ( I know ya don't want to heard that). By the 6th month I noticed a greater range of motion. My primary care doctor told me when I first got the pain, I would no longer be able to lift over 35 lbs. or 10 lbs. over my head. Today, 7 months and 2 days from the beginning of my sciatica, I feel about 80% of normal. I'm 60 years old.

On a stranger note, I experienced a tremendous pain in my left ankle, like it was broken. Two days of this pain and I noticed the pain area was black and blue (theripist had never seen that before with sciatica)  The pain was significant less when the black and blue appeared. I can only thing that a problem nerve to my foot had ruptured and the relieved the pressure/pain I had felt. Over time this "severe pain and black and blue, then relief" appered on my left bicep, under my left arm pit, and just yesterday on my left shin. 3 days ago my shin was a level 8 pain, today it's black and blue but about a 2 in pain.

Overall what  relieved the pain the most, albeit temporary, was acupressure. Deep massaging of the pain area helped with the pain, but it comes back.

• Posted

Hi, have you tried doing stretches? Simple gentle stretches for about 5 minutes throughout the day have helped me so much
  • Posted

Hello,

I would say chiropracter....and if not neurosurgeon for certain...you may also need to have an MRI done...

I saw a chiropracter up until I saw a neurosurgeon and was booked in for surgery, which I had at the end of January this year...and I must say it is beautiful being pain free....I had that type of pain running down my leg, walked twisted then had to be off work cause lying down was my most comfortable position

I hope you get some relief soon...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.