Help as waiting for diagnosis and confused?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a date for a ct scan of my chest and abdomen due to the following: unintentional weight loss, breathlessness when I walk and blue lips after walking or doing anything, clubbing of fingers and toes, oxygen levels normal (ie 95-99) and pulse 55 when resting in a chair but when out walking in the cold my oxygen level drop to around 77 and pulse rises to 180. (I have been using an oximeter to check). My peak flow meter measures 280 - 300 when it should be 430 at my age and height. So what could be going on? Any ideas would be appreciated x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

TCup, you present an interesting angle on the COPD topic.

I tend to keep quiet these days as extraordinary improvements can't be expected at age 77. There has been little or no sign of deterioration in the past twelve months. I admit to having to pause on inclines but the condition has not worsened. I continue to put in quite a demanding working week.

One similar problem has been a tendency to weight loss. In all likelihood food consumption is greater than most folk - stats are 1.82 m, 70 kg. Omission of one square meal will cause weight loss. I also regard it essential to put on some bulk for the winter months.

One feature now evident is susceptibility to cold air below 4C combined with a sharp wind. It is having an effect and the next two months will give a clearer indication.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply David. It is good to hear you are still going well at the age of 77! You must obviously have a good care plan and follow it. I hate the cold so have invested in a very warm down filled parka for the Winter months!

• Posted

TCup,

Another thought occurred to me, so I'll simply ask, have you ever worked with any asbestos or been in an environment that had airborne asbestos? Have you travelled any in the recent past? Have you been around anyone with your same symptoms?

I wondered if maybe you had picked up some viral strain or not placed a connection with exposure to some substance or other?

If the weight loss is becoming a problem, dietary weight gain products are available.

Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks for replying. No, I haven;t worked with anything like asbesdosis related etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.