Help avoiding gout on my birthday

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, its my birthday this weekend and will be celebrating with friends over a couple of bottles of red and some nice food. I know that this is likely to flair my gout and I'm looking at medication options to reduce the impact as well as drinking a lots of water to stay hydrated.

I am currently on 100mg of Allopurinol a day to reduce possibility of an attack but I also have access to 0.5mg tablets of colchicine and 25mg of prednisolone.

I know that the simple answer is to avoid triggers like alcohol and purine rich food, but I am willing to risk it to celebrate - your only 40 once right! smile

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi jtsmoose I will stay well clear of champagne. on my 60th birthday I had some bubbly to celebrate not a lot just for the toast. within 2 hours I was in agony In my foot.and had to go to bed.with pain killers.i have suffered most of my life with gout but it is a process of elimination food and drink that you can't have. and the old adage is one man's meat is another man's poison.hope you have a happy birthday.good luck.

• Posted

hi rusty.good question that.not for a long time.when I have a attack I reach for the colchine. it does the trick.providing you take it at the first sign of gout.
    • Posted

david, having a reaction within two hours seems remarkable to me, was a bit of champagne really the only dietary transgression in the previous 48 hours?

?Just activity and even stress can contribute to metabolic production of urates, or as rusty suggests, even dehydration.

?For me, when not on celery seed, if I have a single bad meal, I cannot recall that along being enough to trigger an attack.  Again for me, as I've analyzed things after the fact, it takes a couple of bad meals over a couple of days and then, well, it's hard to say but I'd think more like 8 to 24 hours, before an attack began.

?Not counting attacks I could not account for, some of which I believe have turned out to be pseudo-gout.

• Posted

I Found exactly the same thing. Hit a colchicine at the first sign of trouble and it went.

So you don’t know your level of blood urate? Is your dr not testing at the very least annually? 

I suspect you are getting attack’s very easily because your blood irate is high because you’re not taking enough allopurinol to flush out your system of the monosodium  urate stores.

• Posted

Hi rusty.agree with the level of urate in the blood.but you can't always get a blood test of your Dr these days.take the tablets.and this is a fact of life. not every one is the same unfortunately.and no matter what you do to avoid this.it will come and go no matter how much you take precautions.it is very frustrating and you are constantly blaming youself for not checking on what is causing this or blaming someone else. this leads to other health problems. And their is no magic bullet for this terrible debilitating disease.i wish their was.

• Posted

There is a magic bullet - it’s called.  In the UK you have a legal right to a blood test.  Doctor giving allopurinol without a blood test at least once a year is in breach of NICE recommendations, and is not only irresponsible but is risking their right to practice medicine.

As for the risk. It’s simple. If blood urate remains high over a decade or so the consequences is heart attack or stroke.

• Posted

Hi for a start I am not on allopurinol and I refer to my previous comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.