Help!! Back on Prozac

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been on Prozac again for three days I was once on it back a year ago and it worked amazingly for three years Iam hoping it has the same effect as before would anyone else have advice on starting Prozac again

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I just started fluoxetine 10mg 9 days ago. The first 3 days were good. My last 2 days ive experienced anxiety and chest pains. I was also given ativan .5mg to take twice a day. This is all very new to me. As I was just diagnosed last month with this panic disorder. I have been irritable and I hate that. But everything that ive read on this site says that this ssri takes the longest to start working. I am doing my best to stay hopeful. I was on buspar 15mg prior to this and then I saw a new doctor 11 days later and he said that was the wrong meds for me and put me on flu. Ive also read that all of these antidepressants no matter which one all have pretty bad side effects when you first start taking them. I wish you the best! I love that I found this site so i can talk to so may others that feel the way i do!
    • Posted

Hi smn0728 thank you for responding I was on it back a year ago and it worked really well for three years then it just stopped working I've read Prozac does that well now Iam back on it I hope it works the same Iam willing to wait it out my advice to you would be to do the same it took two months to get full effect but it was worth it best of luck to you🙂
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I'm doing my best to stay patient! It's so hard!! Keep in touch! I love this site!
    • Posted

So Prozac doesn't work that long?? I sure hope not because I'm getting ready to start it. I'm already going through that with Paxil. It just stopped and I've had heart palpitations and nausea and flu like symptoms for almost a year now. I don't want to have to go through that again in 3 years. I always have all the side effects of withdrawal
    • Posted

Hi Tonia it's a great medication once it starts to work and get the full effect but yes I've read it stops suddenly and it did that for me after three years of it working really good I would say to you to stay on it becouse it could work for ten years you just never know anyways I wish the best of luck to you hang in there🙂
  • Posted

I've been on it for 2 weeks and I feel like sh*t!! I'm normally very active and I've been bed ridden for nearly two weeks. Just want to sleep haven't been to the gym, so depressed does it get better?
    • Posted

Hi moongypsy your having exact same side effects I had wen I first started on them before but those symptoms eventually went away it lasted for about three to four weeks but when they went away I felt great better then ever just saying mabe you can stick it out it may be worth it best of luck to you🙂
    • Posted

Hi crystal, I forced my self to go to them gym cause I've just been emotional eating sleeping and put on weight! But it'll fall off again hopefully. Is fluoxetine known for weight loss?
    • Posted

Hi moongypsy I have the same problem with loosing weight and I know from my last experience with fluoxetine it does make you loose weight I lost like 40 pounds on it and have a regular diet so I would give it some time Iam almost sure it will help 🙂
    • Posted

I've lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks but I think that had a lot to do with how bad my panic/anxiety was plus the start of meds. I'm on day 13, I just can't wait for the side effects to go away! My mornings seem to be the worse with increased anxiety when i wake up, and the chest discomfort. Appetite coming back slowly. So ready to feel better!
    • Posted

Hi smn0728 I know from my experience on fluoxetine I lost 40 pounds but that was also probably becouse I was very active the fluoxetine made me very active in the beginning I had horrible side effects lethargic anxiety etc but that eventually went away I wanna say around five weeks it took about two months to get full effect but it was totally worth staying on it thru the side effects Iam now back on it again a little over a year later and so far Iam doing pretty good I hope it keeps gettin better I would say you'll start to feel better soon
    • Posted

Thank you crystal89230, I appreciate having all of you to talk too!! smile
    • Posted

I was on citalopram called that here in Australia or celexa, for 10 years, but I got off it cause I couldn't shift weight and craved carbs all the time. This week I've been making healthy choices in food and the side affects aren't as bad as last week. I still feel de tached though and wake up anxious. Also I'm numb down there I read it's a side effect so I thought I'd test it out and yep! No stimulation at all!!! Doesn't bother me I'm a single mum anyway

• Posted

Hi moongypsy yeah I've tried Sertaline but it made me have cravings and I was worried about putting on weight so I switched back to fluoxetine Iam hoping I will loose some weight on it and I have read it does lower your sex drive that Iam worried about but I'd much rather have a happy peice of mind ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.