Help Beating Hypochondria!

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is a long read. If you don't feel like reading all of it, the gist of it is, I really need help with my Health Anxiety (Hypochondria)

I have had medical issues my entire life. My Hypochondria started when I got extremely sick when I was 10. (I'm 22 now). I had some sort of stomach issue. They think it was an ulcer, but we're never able to determine the cause. I had to go on medical leave from school for 6 months. I lost so much weight, people would look at me and think I was dying. I wasn't physically, mentally, and emotionally unable to leave my mom's side. If I couldn't see her, I'd freak out. I ended up recovering, but the mental damage has stuck with me.

When I was 16, I was rushed to Children's Hospital for emergency brain surgery. I have a benign, inoperable brain tumor that was blocking a ventricle, causing my brain to swell. I had an allergic reaction to the morphine and was sick for several days. I had one of the worst panic attacks of my life my first night home from the hospital. I was terrified that something was going to happen and the doctors weren't there to help me.

I had the same surgery again when I was 18. Then, when I was 19, I had to start chemotherapy. I had 20 rounds total, 4 of the first one that didn't work, and 16 of the second one that did work.

I have had unknown stomach issues my entire life, as well. They're are going to be checking for a dysfunctional gallbladder and Colonic Inertia within the next couple weeks. Im really excited to be getting answers. (Hopefully)

My cousin, who is basically like my big sister, (she's 25), almost died aboit 2 years ago from Cardiomyopathy. She had a Left Ventricle Assist Device implanted and in December of last year, had a heart transplant.

Hypochondria has been destroying me. Obviously, I have good reason to worry about health. But right now, everything is good. My tumor is stable, we're getting answers about my stomach. But I'm still having panic attacks about it.

I bump my head and I panic for hours that I have a concussion. I get nauseous and I panic that I'm going to throw up. (I have a fear of vomit). It's a vicious cycle. I'll start to panic about being nauseous, which will give me anxiety, and make me more nauseous. So I panic even more. And my heart starts to race, and I think I'm having a heart attack or Cardiomyopathy like my cousin.

I try meditating and while meditating, I feel better. But the moment I finish, the anxiety comes back.

I have a therapist that I work with. She's incredible and has been helping a lot with other stuff. We just recently started talking about my Hypochondria and I really hope she can help.

Does anyone else have Health Anxiety? What do you do? What has helped you? How can I beat it?

I have overcome so much, health wise, and mental health wise. The me 2 years ago wouldn't even recognize the me now. People tell me all the time, especially my family and therapist, how impressed they are with my transformation. The Hypochondria is the one thing I can't seem to get a handle on.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi indeed you have been true a lot for such a young person and I can understand why you panic you have good reason too. That is a lot to have to deal with let me tell you something that may help you I decided that I would get back into shape I love cake 🎂 I mean really love cake all kinds of cake I had a relationship with cake I think you get my point ?? about cake any way I started running and I got this feeling in my leg I did not think much of it at first but it got worse so I went to hospital and they told me there was nothing to worry about but the doctor said do you mind if you stayed the night I have a funny feeling about you as I had been there for 4 hours I said ok why not they put me in the cardiac ward to make this short I was there for 2 weeks I said to the doctor a doc you no that feeling you had about me well to be honest I am getting it about you now can I please go home he said ok you our right I was attached too a heart monitor at the time as he was pulling the last wire my heart stopped for 15 seconds I was rushed to ER had a pacemaker and diffebulator inserted in my chest and 2 days later I went home I got a call from the hospital 5 days after to tell me I had to rush to hospital they needed to talk to me when I got there the doctor told me I had cardiac sarcoidosis lung disease I said OMG 😲 there was nothing they could do a few days later the doctor came in and said I don't now too say this but you got cancer I said what my mind was fried so like you I had choices become a victim ore fight it was not easy but fight I did I had to beat someone first do my self nobody leaves this place alive just think about today yesterday is history tomorrow is a mystery 

• Posted

By the way my so called end was in fact my beginning into this amazing 😉 journey 

• Posted

Great reply Gino. Very inspiring. You reminded me , someone once told me that 'yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is the present, and the present is a gift, this reminds me me to try and live a day aat a time, one of my worst anxiety symptoms still can be obsessing over the future, constant thinking , worrying.  Been a bit like that lately, thanks for posting😊??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.