Help, Bisoprolol messed me up and now experiencing medical gaslighting.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got prescribed 1,25mg bisoprolol to treat my POTS. I took it for just 3 days and then had a resting HR of 38, so my doc said stop taking it. So I quit. I was okay for 4 days and then ended up in the ER with arrythmia.( ST depression). I never experienced arrythmia in my life. But they said it was because of my POTS and gave me 2.5 mg of bisoprolol again. After I got into Sinusrhytm I got send home.

That was 5 days ago. I've taken 1.25 mg the past few days but have had constant palpitations, PVCs and feel awful. I experience anxiety, sleep paralysis, tinnitus, stomach ache, peripharel neuropathy and sore legs. I did not read about side effects until today because I wanted to give this drug a chance but I feel it's poisoning me. I feel far worse than my regular POTS symptoms.

Then I came across this forum and read that more people experience withdrawal symptoms. So I called my GP and told her I think the arrythmia was caused by the bisoprolol but she said impossible and told me to continue.

I think I will wean myself off. What would be a good way to cut dosage? I took 1,25 mg monday morning and another 1,25 mg dose mondaynight. Didnt take anything yesterday, but now getting jittery again with palpitations. Would 0,75mg today be okay for today?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i can't advise on how to cut dosage but here's my story. Bisoprolol was the worst experience of a drug i have ever had the misfortune to endure. i was on 5mg a day for 11 months by which time i had worsening symptoms of joint pain, chest pain, back pain, no energy, numbness in my cheeks behind my nose, tinnitus, dry mouth, intermittent profuse sweating of palms, hair loss and peripheral neuropathy which is still rebounding 6 months after stopping it albeit diminishing. it left me with a lot of skipped beats and other strange arrhythmias . These were made worse after eating or talking for a long time. They have been diminishing slowly. I had all the other usual symptoms. i felt poisoned and decided to cut my dose in half for a week or so and then stop. i don't recommend the way i did it as everyone seems to have a different experiences quitting and it can be deadly. The drug withdrawal has a habit of causing doubt that you will ever get better, or that your symptoms are due to something else, but it does seem to eventually wear off. for me it keeps rebounding but with slightly less intensity over time. Doctors that i have met are reluctant to listen. i was a qualified nurse back in the day and worked in cardiac theatre, intensive care, rehab and coronary care unit. I am clear that this drug caused my symptoms described above. all are mentioned in the drugs side effects so I'm not sure why the doubt. the last cardiologist i met was surprised at my experience and stated " we dole this out like candy". hope this helps, stay strong!!

• Posted

I've been on Bisoprolol for 8 years and have never got used to it, I was told by someone recently that it is prescribed as drug of choice because it is the cheapest to produce, I have different symptoms to you (yours are just awful), I am constantly drowsy/dizzy and some days can hardly put one foot in front of the other, my husband was taken off them as they would intermittently stop his heart completely and he would pass out so they can can be really dangerous.

• Posted

for such a popular drug you would have thought the medical fraternity would have cottoned on to its dangers.

Stopping the heart should be the ultimate warning. proper monitoring was not my experience after being put on this horrible drug.

luckily for me my heart is okay and the side effects are gradually releasing their grip. however the rebound effects from time to time still fills you full of doubt.

• Posted

Yes you would think so wouldn't you? But the argument is that it happens very rarely, you know like all the possible rare side effects on the information sheet, it is the cheapest to produce, apparently.

• Posted

Bisoprolol is poisonous in my experience. After failing to tolerate 3 other beta blockers, the cardiologist said i must be on one. I only had 2.5mg one night and after two hours I was gasping for air for 4 hours, slight headache, dizzy, light-headed, stomach pain wanting to vomit. I have normal BP, but this caused it to plunge 30 points/ 15 points. My resting heart rate went from 80 to 70. My walking heart rate went from upper 90s / lower 100s to upper 70s. I feel awful two days late. I only took one 2.5mg doze! Again, this is poisonous for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.