Help! Blood Results MCV 104.4 and B12 level 261 - is this B12 level normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been suffering with balance problems, vertigo, fatigue, itching skin and scalp, dry skin patches, and vision sensitivity and hearing dullness - plus dreadful headaches and forgetfulness. I have had a clear MRI and also consulted a neurologist who said that my B12 level of 261 is normal. From reading on-line I am wondering if I could have a B12 deficiency? People are saying you need a level of 500 to operate well.

Does this result really indicate a good B12 level? What are the implications of the MCV of 104.4?

I would be so grateful for any insights!

In advance a big thanks

Mel x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't know hot to edit comments here.

261 ng/ml or even 261pmol/L would be in low reference range and may indicate that you are undersupplying. There are many articles on the web you can find info.

Yep, You MCV is too high, everything above 95 fl is suspicious and above 100 may be connected to anemia.

You should next check for liver test and folic acid as well.

Pozdrawiam,

Przemek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.