Help, booked for cystoscopy (female)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a post elsewhere regarding my history of non visible blood in urine but no infection. My GP today has referred me to hospital for the above camera investigation and I am sick with worry already. It will be around 10 weeks wait. She says it could be any number of things such as cyst on bladder wall, leaking blood vessel etc and some people just have it and a reason is never found. I can't help thinking it could be something really serious. I dread the indignity of the test although I have had loads of stuff in the area over the years. I will probably have a male urologist carrying it out and that is making me feel even worse. I don't feel ill, I don't have frequency and I just don't know why I have to go through this. Next step will be bladder and kidney scan. My partner had this and had an epidsode of urinary retention afterwards and had to have a catheter. I just cannot face this. Anyone else in this situatuion recently?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

DON'T WORRY. Worry gets you nowhere.

It may be possible to ask for a female nuse to do the cystoscopy.

I'm male and had both males and females to do it for me with no problems. It's not as unpleasant as you might think. The lower areas are covered and the job is done through a small hole.

Bladder and kidney scans are also no big deal , Iv'e had both.

I repeat ...Don't worry. 

• Posted

Microscopic blood can come from a number of things, including jogging or running or other heavy physical activity.  I once had that happen, over 50 years ago, and nothing came of it.  Fortunately I had a GP willing to go research possible causes (back before the internet).
  • Posted

Hello, while cystoscopy is certainly not something I would consider "fun", it's really not too bad. I was 34 year old female with acute onset frequency and urgency when I had to have a cysto to rule out anything serious as the cause. A male urologist carried out the procedure but that was really the least of my worries at that point, honestly. Maybe it's because I've had three children but I am pretty used to doctors poking around down there. Anyways, I have not heard of anyone needing to be cathed after he procedure. Yes, your bladder will be irritated for a few hours after because a foreign object was inside your urethra and bladder. It will burn when you void for the first few times after. You can ask for medication to numb the bladder for a bit after. My stepmother who is in her 50s had a similar issue to you. She had no physical symptoms but non-visible blood was found in her urine so she had a cystoscopy right before I did. It turned out to be nothing...they couldn't find a cause. Chances are, your symptoms are not being caused by something serious like bladder cancer. Try to relax and not assume the worst as you wait for the procedure. After cysto, I had a CT with dye contrast to rule out any stones or blockages. That would probably be the next step.

• Posted

Yes, my GP did mention that it may be a little stone which doesn't cause pain but is responsible for the traces of blood. Scan will be a couple of weeks after scope as far as I know. This is all fairly recent, within the last 3 months so whatever the issue this is early days which can only be a good thing.

• Posted

As other have said please don't worry, it isn't that bad, i had spinal surgery which damaged the secrel nerve and I have an atomic bladder which fills up but can't go so self catheterise, I have been doing it nearly 6yrs and I'm 38. I had to have one a few weeks ago to rule out a stricture as it was getting sore taking the catherter out, the lady that did it was in and out in 5 mins.

Just drink lots of water after and keep hydrated, it will help take away any burning you might get after the procedure.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel like I'm making a fuss over nothing but I detest tests of any kind. I have had kids and various other issues and the idea of a scope should not be a problem. I'll be fine. I'll be sure to have lots of water afterwards to help with stinging. It probably is just a leaking blood vessel. I suppose five minutes discomfort is not much if it gives me an answer.

• Posted

I have had microscopic blood in my urine for years and possibly for ever.  I only became aware when I started getting recurent UTIs. 8 years ago.  It's quite common and if you are asyptomatic it's likely that you are one those who, like me, just has microscopic haematuria.  Don't worry, it's really not that unusual.

• Posted

I have no idea how long I've had it, only discovered a few months ago when testing for infection. My aunt had the same thing and no reason was ever found and believe me they did every test imaginable! I'm feeling positive and won't let it ruin Christmas for me. Take care.

• Posted

Good luck and hope it all goes ok, let us know :-)
    • Posted

Thank you, I will post afterwards and share my experience. It's easier with the support on this forum so thank u all x

• Posted

I have had microscopic hematuria for almost a year now and I am scheduled for a cysto as well I freaked cause my urologist told me they have to do the test to make sure it isn't bladder cancer or other major things I flipped later I threw myself in such a panic I started googling which is stupid to do it made it worse I developed extreme anxiety and then I went for a ct scan with contrast last month and they found nothing wrong with my kidneys or bladder but found something developing on my abdominal wall which appears to be abdominal wall endometriosis won't know about that til next month but I got so freaked out I was sick throwing up everything I ate for week caused myou blood pressure to shoot up bad now I'm on anxiety Medicine and water pills to try to regulate my blood pressure when I'm really freaking for nothing anybody who has microscopic blood has to have the same things done it's just that be on the safe side is all don't freak like I did I have read many forums saying it's 99 percent of the time nothing and some ppl just needed there bladder flushed out so after the cysto was done the blood disappeared I have mine the 28th hope all goes well for you try and stay calm remember it's nothing really

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Brittany, thanks for sharing your situation with me. Yes, it's all too easy to go into a major panic and assume they suspect the worst. As I am otherwise fit and well I'm hopeful it's just a simple thing that is easily sorted or needs no treatment at all. It's good that your scan came back clear and I'm sure your scope will as well. Keep posting and we can help each other👍 all the best.

• Posted

I have it done today at 4 yall pray for good results I will let yall know later what they said
    • Posted

Hope it all goes well for you, please let us know outcome and how test was.
    • Posted

Everything was fine he said all looked normal I'm so relieved and thankful for the many prayers and I'm thankingredients the great lord himself

• Posted

That's great news, glad it was good result and that you found it not bad or scary.

Hoping that this will let you have a happy new year

George

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.