Help! Boyfriend has mite larvae coming out of pores in his face!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, about a week and a half ago, we noticed bumps on his dog. We figured it was just mosquito or spider bites or a reaction to grass b/c she has really sensitive skin. Well, my boyfriend had some outpatient surgery 10 days ago (right around the same time we saw bumps on the dog) and wasn't able to shower for two whole days after the surgery to give the wounds time to heal shut. During this time, he must've contracted mites from his dog. He noticed itchy bumps on his abdomen area (some around the surgical sites) two days ago and after extensive research figured out he had mites. He also noticed a small black dot on his chin, which we figured was an ingrown hair. Two days ago, we were poking at it with pins and trying to grab the black speck out of the pore, and it just bled. Yesterday morning, he woke up and it had a crust over it. When he peeled the crust off, tons of mites and larvae came out of the pore! It is literally oozing and he has mites crawling all over his chin and face. He was prescribed ointment to use from the neck down, but how the heck does he get rid of the infestation on his face?! Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what did you do to get rid of these gross bugs in your face.. This is so disgusting it makes my skin crawl. 

Also, i haven't had any symptoms (yet) but am worried I could have contracted them. We do not live together but i have stayed at his house a couple times in the last week (not in the last three days - thank goodness). Do i need to treat myself? Do i just use the cream his doc prescribed him??

Thanks for any help/advice!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Some species of mites are incredibly resistant to medication.  What does help in all cases is good old fashioned paraffin aka kerosene or lamp oil.  It is fine to put on your face.  Sounds scary but if you research you will see that this was used extensively for parasites 50 years or so ago.  Keep treating twice a day for several weeks as some species of kites lay eggs which are virtually indestructible - so you need to keep applying until they all hatch and die.  Best of luck!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.