Help Breast pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all , I'm 48 year old live in London. since last two months I'm having sharp pain it randomly comes and goes on both breast. I also noticed my breast looks bigger and heavier and sometimes I feel itchiness and soreness. My period cycle has changed now it comes six days late than 29 day cycle.

I was worried so checked it out by my GP while she was checking I felt soreness on the side and side of both nipples but doctor said nothing to worry about it looks like hormonal changes as I've reached towards menopause. I asked for breast screening but she said she doesn't think I need referral for breast screening. she also said just take pain killer or evening primrose oil I said I have been taking but soreness and sharp pain randomly comes and goes. I'm still worried as I don't think she took it seriously don't know what to do please help....

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nita,

I am not certain of the protocol in the UK/NHS, but your physician is marginalizing your symptoms. While most breast cancers do not cause pain, especially in the early stages, and all your symptoms can be easily attributed to pre-menopausal symptoms, your physician does not have golden hands or X-ray eyes. She should have ordered a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound of both breasts. I would ask for a consultation for a gynecologist...or change physicians. I am a retired Nurse Practitioner in the States and used to conduct Breast Clinics. I always erred on the side of caution... "When in Doubt, Check it Out."

I slept well every night. .

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, and am doing well, with an excellent prognosis.

Please let me know what happens.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Also Nita, the breast with cancer was itchy, not to panic you. Usually, the itching and soreness develops due the fluctuations in the estrogen and progesterone during your cycle. Your cycle becomes more irregular.

I noticed with me, the breast cancer breast became vascularized on the surface, and was itchy underneath where the cancer was.

With hormone changes, the areola and nipples can become itchy, but then resolve. Do you have any scaling on one nipple?

An inverted nipple? Skin changes like dimpling called peau d'orange? Do you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer?

Best Regards

Merry Juliana.

• Posted

Hallo Nita, I'm in UK and your GP has taken into consideration your age and the fact it is both breasts that are giving you problems so has come to the conclusion its hormonal. Take painkillers and Evening primrose oil as suggested but dont put up with this for more than another 2 weeks . Go back and say you are still in pain etc. and ask again for a mammogram.Cant guarantee that you will get one. Are you in an area where you can self refer for a mammogram ?

• Posted

I think it is menopausal issues, but the pain should subside over time, if the pain sharply comes and goes, that shows it isnt much of a problem, breasts and the issues that stem from that are related to the period pains you have. I think painkillers will do the trick. It might be infection at worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.