Help...Can anxiety/panic attack cause mucus in your throat?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So everyone, I have been feeling mucus/lump in my back throat that I couldn’t neither swallow down nor hock out. But it didn’t affect me a lot expect I sometime swallowed saliva more times than normal. Since I don’t feel it’s a big deal so I kind of lived with it.

But in the past week the mucus sensation suddenly got enlarged and the mucus seemed to be stuck in between my nasal cavity and my back throat, which gave me too much discomfort when I tried to swallow anything even liquid. I kind of panicked when the symptoms first occurred and kept swallowing hoping to swallowed the “thing” down. All of a sudden my mouth became extremely dry and I felt like no saliva at all. I could’t eat because I always felt food was stuck at the point where the mucus is. On the fifth day I went to ENT doc with an endoscopy done. Nothing showed around my nasal and vocal area. Even no chronic rhinitis or irritation. 

So I really don’t know what to do next...i used to love eating and love activities but this really brought me into a gloom and I just want to eat and live as normal...I googled some anxiety symptoms and seemed it can cause something like this? I also shakes/trembled and felt cold since this symptom started, because I was too nervous about it. I also felt my heartbeat when I was lying down and seemed had a bit intercostal neuralgia randomly in the past week.

Do I seem to have anxiety symptoms? Can anxiety/panic attack cause mucus/swallowing problem and dry mouth? Anyone ever had similar experience? Is it just a sensation that will go away once the anxiety gets better? Please help...

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Most common symptom

Now I m used to it... too much irritable hahaha

• Posted

Are u taking any medication?
    • Posted

Hi Max, I’m not on any medication right now...except the over-the-counter saline nasal spray.

I completely lost my appetite now because of the “stuck” feeling as I used to be a food lover...Have you ever been diagnosed by doctor? How did you deal with this sensation?

• Posted

Yes diagnosed by doctors not had any tests its anxiety related or sinus issue
  • Posted

I think I have the same issue. Does the lump feel like a trapped burp or air bubble in your throat or just mucous. Mine feels like an air bubble or burp and for the past week my throat has been making a gurgling sound when I swallow. I'm not sure if it's acid reflux or a combination since I have been very anxious about this for so long. My eating is also effected by this and it started with having pressure below my breastbone and now it's in my throat as well. It's very frustrating and depressing as I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

Hi Chandra, I’m sorry to hear that. Mine feels more like a thick and sticky mucus, and I feel it moves as I tilt my head. I do belch a lot recently and don’t know if it’s related to it. Also my ears feel a bit clogged somehow. But the endoscopy showed nothing and what could I say...

I tried anti acid meditation before but didn’t really help and the “lump” was still there. I don’t have heartburn or anything. But there’s something called silent reflux which doesn’t involve those symptoms normally associated with acid reflux...idk

Yours sounds more like a typical acid reflux since you feel chest pressure. Have you ever seen a doctor or done an esophageal mamometry?

• Posted

Hello,

I think I might have both silent and regular as I feel both. The throat issues started out last summer when i had a lot of phlegm and had to constantly clear my throat and my throat was very sensitive to smoke and chemicals. Then I started actually feeling heartburn a few months later and began taking over the counter nexium for a month and one morning I woke up with extreme pressure below my breastbone and Couldn’t eat because of it then a week or so later I also felt the lump in my throat after I had my first endoscopy so sure if that had something to do with it or just a coincidence. Overtime it for worse and now that is more bothersome then the Feeling in my chest. I’ve had two endoscopies and they were both normal with minimal acid. I go for a modified barium swallow next week so we’ll see if that shows anything. The nexium isn’t working for the lump either and I still get mild heartburn once a week or so.

• Posted

Yes try the barium swallow if still shows  nothing then if could be anxiety related...

Do you have any other symptoms such as heart palpitation/trembling/shortness of breath/loss of appetite or anything?

• Posted

Hi Raven,

Hopefully that can show something or rule stuff out. I definitely have anxiety and depression from this and have had it everyday for the last four months but I think the anxiety can after the physical issues. I really worried I have a motility issue with my esophagus that is causing it to spasm and that’s why my throat is closing up or feeling the lump. It’s such a vicious cycle because I can’t relax until I feel better and I can’t feel

Better until I relax. I feel so unhealthy like my body is shutting down on me and I’m getting really weak and losing weight so it makes me more anxious that something is really wrong with me. I’ve never been this worried in my life 

• Posted

I totally understand you because this is exactly how I’m feeling right at this moment. It is an endless circle...I haven’t had any proper food for a week because of the swallowing and dry mouth...my mouth feel extremely dry especially my throat part, so I can’t taste and chew anything normally. I don’t know if this is also a sign of anxiety or something else is going on...I’m getting so weak literally in a week and I lost weight as well. I lost my appetite and lost my interests...life’s never been this horrible before.

Hope you get better soon. Keep updating with your test results.

• Posted

I think I have the same issue. Does the lump feel like a trapped burp or air bubble in your throat or just mucous. Mine feels like an air bubble or burp and for the past week my throat has been making a gurgling sound when I swallow. I'm not sure if it's acid reflux or a combination since I have been very anxious about this for so long. My eating is also effected by this and it started with having pressure below my breastbone and now it's in my throat as well. It's very frustrating and depressing as I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

k guys I have been going through the same hell... the from the hocking to the panic attacks because something is sitting right at the edge and we must clear it to feel better. Well Ive been self diagnosing for about 4 plus years.. i recently declined an endoscopy because some of you took that route and nothing to avail. As annoying as this solution ( i think) might be it boils down to 2 things. 1-being still literally feeling your weight and feet on the ground and staying still because THAT ushers in the inhale exhale process ( a deep and slow one not short and rushed) and after that step your body will hopefully adjust ( its slow but it does happen) Which brings me to a question : are any of you always rushing or do things super fast?

• Edited

I don't have quite the same issue, but I do have this feeling in my throat like there's build-up of some kind. Always need to clear my throat. And it causes me to have a weird sound to my voice a few times a day. Sound familiar to anyone?

It's been freaking me out, but I'm glad others have a semi-similar phenomenon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.