Help can anyone shut the car door

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi please help if you can, I have frozen shoulder and cannot work out how to close the car door once I get in without pain - has anyone found a gadget.?

Both shoulders are frozen 1 st stage left 3month behind right.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My mother was disabled and used to tie purses of cloth to things to pull closed. Do you have a car door lock that sticks up? Or is there something on the door you can put a pulley through?
  • Posted

Thank you for trying to help, unfortunately I think the button would break off as the door is so heavy. The pain is horrendous comparable with labour, has anyone got ideas for pain relief? And, there seems to be mixed messages regarding treatment One consultant says no point in having physio as the shoulder is going to freeze anyway, other sent me for physio which kept the shoulder moving but gave incredible pain. Is it better to have movement and pain, or no movement less pain?

Pain control already tried tens, ice packs, diclfenac sodium, naproxen, paracetamol, co codamol, pregablin which works but causes loss of mental ability. Anything else worked for anyone?

• Posted

The pain is like nothing I’ve ever felt before and much worse than labour! I agree

I just stayed still for a month and the pain subsided... a little bit at a time.. I also used tiger balm .. bathed in it. Lots of pain meds and anti inflammatory meds

• Posted

I’ve had FS in left shoulder since April of this year. Had one cortisone shot but chickened out of MUA. I’m afraid of making it worse! I have a Jeep so when I get in I push the door at the bottom with my foot and it kind of rocks enough to close itself. You just have to pull your foot in quickly.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am sorry you all have this dreadful problem as well. Parking on a Hill seems to help, open the door slightly first then get your foot inside the door to flick it open. Once in, just pull door slightly and gravity of the hill makes it shut, then it’s just trying to drive. Tried to do 3 point turn yesterday was in agony, a friend told me I would get used to the pain. I had no idea how to respond. My job involves lifting my hands above my waist all the time. Think I’m just gonna have to give it up.. Dr said rest it and pain will go out of it and it will freeze, can anyone confirm that’s true?
  • Posted

I was going to suggest getting in the car from the passenger side and slide over to the driver seat, but I see now that you mentioned having FS in both shoulders so my suggestion would not be helpful. I hope you find a solution. 
  • Posted

I have it in both shoulders also, I can sympathise. Mine radiates down my arms into my hands, so I can understand the car door problem. Depending on the type of car you have, I personally use my foot, I get it ajar then use my feet to push it the rest of the way. 

From the outside again I get it a jar then just slide a foot then my body in. It's not graceful but it works. 

As for pain, I can't take any  anti-inflammatory medication so I my dr has given me  Oxycodone I only take it at the really bad times and it helps for about an hour. 

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.