HELP! Can surgey cure severe halitosis potentially caused by LPR/Acid Reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male in desperate need of help. Have been suffering from chronic and severe halitosis for past 12 months now. 

All started mildly back in November 2015 and was not too bad and would be gone if brushed teeth, however 4 month later and up to now it has become extremely bad and chronic. 

During this the 4 month had a extremely bad junk food and spicy food diet, having these kind of meals at least 7-8 times a week and always overeating and eating late night and going to bed straight away. 

My main symptoms are horrendous mucus that has always been there from the beginning, and i believe this is is responsible for 90% of the halitosis. The smell is coming through my nose and even when mouth is closed can be smell man feet away.

Other symptoms include chronic rumbling by lower esophagus area when eating and throughout day. Whenever there is rumbling this is followed instantly by a fizzing/popping sound at back of my throat. This get much worse when lying down as well as the mucus in throat. The smell and mucus also gets worse on an empty stomach and rumbling aswell. Severe mucucs production in throat and post nassal drip aswell as diffculties swallowing. Also chronic burping and flatulence after meals for 2 hours, with horrible smelling burps. 

The ENt has also stated my sinuses are very infalmmed due to the LPR and reason for nasal congestion.

I have also been suffering from what seems to esophageal spasms and the pain extends to neck and shoulders. There is also pain in both shoulders after i eat any foods. I have tried EVERYTHING. However nothing has helped me. I am due for a GI appointment tomorrow. 

Please can someone provide any help and let me know if any surgery has helped or what can be done to cure the issue. 

I have had to quit my job, become a total recluse and have suffered from bad depression for past 6 months. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would change your diet and see if that helps your symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for reply. Ive been eating clean for past 3 months, yet nothing has changed. Very confused as to why its not going bu actually getting worse.

​Thanks

• Posted

Maybe you still have irritation from your previous diet. Perhaps try a flavoured throat spray to freshen your breath and take away any unpleasant flavours in your mouth. 
    • Posted

No  i stopped my previous diet months ago. I have been eating very well for months now. Can reflux be causing this halitosis. It gets worse when i lie down adn the smell seems  to be getting worse and worse.

Thanks

• Posted

If partially digested food is refluxing with the acid, you will be getting the smells of whatever you ate along with the acidic smells too.  Try using extra pillows at night and sit upright in bed for awhile and try elevating your feet with a cushion as well.  Perhaps keep a food diary to identify which foods are refluxing.  You may have to adjust your diet again.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help. I shall make the changes you have stated.
  • Posted

Miahs

Would changing your diet help

BOB

• Posted

Hi

Thanks  for reply. My diets been changed for past 3-4 month but no change. ALso the pain round my lower sphincter flares up every time i burp.

• Posted

Hi, I have experienced some of the same problems, excess mucus (...would have to sleep with tissue because of constant mucus) also could smell my breath especially if I burped.   I changed my diet (added more fruits and veggies)  as you have mentioned and it helped but breath still seems to smell but not as much. I have tried liquid chlorophyll supplement which seems to help the most. Probiotics also appear to work but now I'm having some stomach issues and trying to determine if these supplements are causing the problem of if it is my blood pressure medication (amlodipine). I'm scheduled to see my doctor this Friday and plan to discuss the stomach issues. My gastric doctor also recommended taking psyllium especially if I eat to much junk. I'm also working to increase my fiber to 25gm to see if will help. ...hope some of information helps. 

• Posted

No idea if this will help but here goes.  My periodontist told me something like 90% of bad breath comes from the tongue.  Specifically, the back of the tongue.  He had me get a tongue scrapper, my daughter says it has made all the difference.

Best of luck

• Posted

I use the tongue scraper at least once a day.  I carry one in my purse even.
  • Posted

Hi All, I am having the similar problem, Bad breath due to LPR, Severe and chronic ? miyahs123 did your problem resolve ?

• Posted

ive been dealing with it too, i seen someone say aloe vera can help. im a try it also

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.