Help ! Changing from citalopram to sertraline

Posted , 7 users are following.

During to 3 mths of insomnia on citalopram and coming through the terrible side effects, my GP says insomnia will not settle down now and wants me to switch to Sertraline.

He wants me to reduce 20mg to 10mg citalopram for a week, day off and start sertraline 25mg day after. I'm really worried about going through the terrible side effects again. Has anyone else gone through this and can offer reassurance? Will the side effects be as bad?

Thanks for any advice

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I went from 30mg of Citalopram to a low doss of sertraline, and have upped it to 100mg. My doctor said it's more or the less the same medication (SSRI) and will most likely give me the same side effects, but I gave it a go anyway. Both medications made me tired. I feel a lot like myself on sertraline though. I was on citalopram for 4 years and didn't feel it was helping. You have to expect side effects for the first 5 weeks on sertraline but stick It out as it's the first time I have felt myself in years. smile

• Posted

I am on week 5 of Sertraline, first 10 days was 25mg and 50mg from then. I have had minimal side effects. The only one that is annoying is clamping my teeth together. To be honest though I would rather that than the anxiety.
  • Posted

I've just been changed from cit to sert...just wondering how everyone is doing ..I was on a low dose of cit for a good few years ,felt it had stopped working ..any advise for me too would be great..

• Posted

Hi Gail, I didn't change to sertraline in the end I just couldn't face the side effects again.

I now take a small.dose of amitriptyline as well as citalopram 20mg each night. I am sleeping much better and feel glad I made the right choice for me.

• Posted

Definitely great that you are doing well ..🤗.well I'll see how I get on ...I'm off work at the mo due to hip replacement last Nov ..so hope any side effects won't be too severe ..think it's just been an accumulation of surgery ,not working,feeling rubbishy and the dark nights ..take care  gx 

• Posted

Hi gail did you manage to switch from citalopram to sertraline. ...I'm just switching over and have been on 10mg for 7 years and it has stopped working and has given me horrible side effects!

• Posted

Well ,I eventually came off everything,was only on sertraline for a few weeks ..then tapered off .off everything for about 7 months but  I suffer from seasonal affective disorder which is creeping back over me and am back on it at 25mg a day ..only been on it a couple of weeks..my mood seems stable and I'm fairly happy ,not particularly depressed ..I do hope you get on alright ,please let me know how you're doing ??

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo, 

I was the same as you ,I had been taking citaolpram for a long time and It just stopped working. Finally I went to the doctor and he put me on Sertaline, and I'm afraid to tell you this,the side effects were terrible I had ten times the anxiety I normal have ,and could have cried "at the drop of a hat  Thankfully it started to work, after taking it for about 8 weeksEveryone different ,some people feel really sick I didn't have any other symptoms but the anxiety elevation. I really could see a difference. I was nearly giving up but glad I stuck to it as now I'm feeling really well. I'm on 50mg,I see that you posted this 2 months ago. I do so hope your feeling the benifits of this tablet by now. If not hang in there.,as it will work soon  Hope this finds you much better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.