Help: Changing to Sotalol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need help a.fib buddies.  Been on bisoprolol many years, and after 3 attacks ending up in A & E in 4 months my gp has changed my betablocker to Sotalol, low dose to start 40mg twice a day, I'm worried about what might be the consequences.  Hate this thing makes me live on a knife edge waiting for the next attack, Gp will not give me anything for anxiety or to help me sleep.  Any advice please.  Good luck to all my suffering buddies.  X   By the way the only drug that got my rhythm back was digoxin but they seem loathe to prescribe it regularly.  c 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Years ago I was hospitalized and they put me on SOTALOL. It was the BEST DRUG I ever had for AFIB. It worked terrifically for 3 to 4 years and then apparently lost its effectiveness.

Since then I've never been on an AFIB drug which worked so wonderful as SOTALOL.

I have since asked my Doctors to put me back on SOTALOL but in order to receive SOTALOL - the patient must be monitored in a hospital for about three (3) days. Since I am too busy to be hospitalized - I can't get treated with it.

Many Doctors don't like to prescribe SOTALOL for AFIB because it is really not the classic treatment drug for AFIB. BUT IT DAMN WELL WORKS. If something is working for you - who cares about those things.

CONCLUSION

I hope SOTALOL works for you the way it did for me. Because it really took away all of those crazy AFIB symptoms which other medications always caused.

Good luck.

• Posted

My sotalol worked too. I am now on metapropolol after my ablation but it is not doing anything for my blood pressure. I am mostly in the high 80's and 90's diastolic. I was 110/70 w sotalol. I know it is an antiarrithymic, but it kept my pressure down as well as the irregularities.

• Posted

Thanks for that Kingjerry!  Was that quite awhile ago then, because my gp just put me 2 X 40, then rang me the next day to say he'd spoken to a cardiologist who said because I am female, go up to 4 X 40 next day, which I was a bit scared to do as on the drug leaflet it said allow 2-3 days before upping dosage, so I've done it gradually.  Have to see my gp Thursday,  I'm finding it disrupts my sleep, and tingling feet, but if it works hey ho!  Which b,blocker are you now now on now?  Do you know if antihistamines which help me sleep are bad for a,fib?  My dr has given me them in the past to aid sleep.  Good,luck. 

• Posted

Antihistamines and cold meds are not recommended. They inhibit the action of your beta blockers. Neither are antacids recommended. Double check w your pharmacy or doctor.
    • Posted

Cheers for that, dr prescribed me some to aid sleep when I was on bisoprolol!

cant trust them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.