HELP! Chest pains, numb and tingling sensations, trapped nerve, costochondritis. And remedies?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Spoiler: This may be a long post.

Hello. I just wanted to start by saying my doctor told me to check out this site- first to read up on Costo and after lots of reading, I am way more informed on what it is, so thanks to anyone out there who has posted or shared their experiences as it has helped me out a lot. 

My experience seems totally similar which is reassuring but I thought I'd post, outline it all to keep up to date on any solotions or remedies.

I'm 27, male and have been having these weird symptoms since about April this year.

I, like most, have been under a lot of stress. In the past 12 months about 6 hugely traumatic things have happened in quick succession within my family (depression, divorce, 3 huge deaths in the space of 3 months) after which, the symptoms kicked in.

At work, in April, my left foot went numb, not fully numb, but felt like pins and needles or that my left shoe was tied too tight. My foot has been in varying degrees of this since then. I also experience tingly sensation in my left arm, hand,neck and side of my face. Like many people with costo, I thought "well, that'll be a heart attack then." I had some tests done, all fine. Potential calcium deficiency so took vitamins.

In about July I hurt my rib and the aching feeling transferred to my chest and in my mind, my heart. I basically spent August trying different variations of heat packs, cold packs, vitamins, indegestion tablets, paracetamol, cocodomol and ibuprofen while intermittently seeing doctors or phoning HNS 24 thinking I was going to die. Nothing in day to day life feels comfortable. It felt like someone was sitting on the left side of my chest, and that there was an itch i just couldnt scratch deep inside my chest, like I need a back scratcher for my ribcage just to unclog whatever it feels is in there. The doctors all past this off as stress and anxiety which annoyed me, ironically adding to the stress. 

All of this has been ongoing since then and since August I have had bloods, ecg and 24 hour blood pressure monitor. All fine. I was told Costochondritis given Pregabalin tablets- first 25mg twice a day, then 50mg twice a day, now on 75mg twice a day. I'm going to ring the doctor tomorrow to reassess as I don't think they are working, not consistently anyway but then again Costo is such a weird one as the symptoms and feelings seems to range dramatically.

I also went for a spinal check and have a trapped nerve which I can totally feel has something to do with it. Again, adds to the stress of the whole thing. I   am just feeling fatigued, negative and a bit off and spaced out. Tingly feelings are constant, and pain in chest ranges from stabbing, to an ache, to almost a stomach ache feeling. The front of my sternum seems to crack at times, like knuckles would, which I have read is common, as well as back pain etc

All in all it feels nightmarish sometimes, and just niggly at other times. I have tried stretches, meditation, back cracking, changing my diet, cutting down on coffee, swapping cigarettes for an e cigarette and I stopped drinking for the first month of taking pregabalin. I have noticed the effects of costo are stronger when I have been drinking. I have also started seeing a counsellor to help unravel the personal stuff as hopefully that will reduce stress and anxiety.

Any advice on anything you have tried to ease the feelings? Am I missing something? Does massage or acupuncture help? Diet tips? Physical things? Posture?

Any feedback hugely, hugely appreciated because I'd like this to go away as soon as possible and just get on with stuff without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack and I'd also like to stop boring my friends with it!

Congrats if you made it to the end of this post. Thanks for sharing and reading. I'll keep you updated. smile

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm going thru the same. 23 months now. I've finally found something that is promising- scalene physical therapy massage. Try it three times! Sometimes it helps after one session.

Acupuncture helps also, but unfortunately only for 48 hours a time, for me at least. I feel for tutu, this is the most excritiating, depending, and frustrating things I've ever had to go thru. Good luck!

• Posted

I also just posted a brief questionnaire- I'm working with medical researchers at a University and they may have found a link. If so, they're a cure on the way!

Please take a moment to answer five quick questions for the doctors, it's under Costochondritis and Pleurisy questions. It's really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hi Robin; I know this post is over 12 months old but I'm so desperate, had costo for around 4 months now sad I've had paracetamol, ibuprofen, now on naproxen and amitrypitine. Had 2 sessions of acupuncture but feel awful! As u said even though u know what it is, when u get the pain at night especially u still think ur going to have a heart attack! Lost me dad with one too which doesn't help. I just wondered if u had any success in relieving your symptoms and are u pain free now smile I would love some advice. I've read so much. Been taking omega 3. Supplement but I can't seem to get rid of this pain. I'm so fed up with it all. Have had some stresses but I don't have anything really that bad to stress over now yet trying to relax just isn't helping. I hope you have found some relief and would be really grateful if you could share your experience smile

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

My name is Julian I am 28 years old and have been dealing with costo/tietzes for over 3 years now, I've been trying to find recent posts by others who are experiencing similar or even exactly the same feelings and pains.

I would really like to share experiences with others because in all this time I have never been able to hear it from someone else.

The things I feel pretty much daily are

Painful sternum(mostly left side)

Ribcage burning sensation mostly left side but can be anywhere

Pain just left to my spine also along the rib attachment

Tingling sensations in hands, arms and legs (left)

Pain in my neck and sides of my head

Painful jaw/jawmuscle

Dizzyness/lightheaded

These always come and go and they pretty much take turns as well, like if I havent felt a certain one in a while itll just pop up again out of nowhere.

Its been a pretty big influence on my life but I'm definitely not desperate, I still keep doing everything I need to do like work and exercize as much as I can.

Its just an insanely frustrating feeling sometimes and it makes you feel powerless over your own body and I do believe that when I am physically weak it gets worse, like when I am feeling sick, tired or even hungover its definitely worse.

Just dont let it hold you back I guess, hope you or anyone can share more experiences with me after this I'd love to get it touch with people that have the same problems.

• Posted

Hi Julian

Gosh where do I start! I've had similar symptoms; the pain in the sternum and breast is worse, oh god u really think ur going to have a heart attack! I lay in bed one night and had a full panic attack when I didn't know what it was. That's my worst symptom. I also have back ache, feeling shirt of breath at times and occasional cough and wheezing. I feel the tingling sensation In my chest - that feels weird!

Do u take anything for this when u have a flare up or are u on any long term medication?

I am currently taking naproxen and amitriptylene. I am also having acupuncture. Still feel some days nothing is working sad I've had it for 4 months now. Nothing compared to u tho. Do u do specific exercises for it? 🤔

• Posted

No i usually try to avoid taking too many things, very rarely ill take a painkiller when its bad in my chest. No long term medication either.

Do you ever get any dizzyness or pain more towards your neck? Or is it just around your torso?

Yea I remember when I didnt have a clue of what was happening I thought I was having a heart attack 3 times a day! But after learning what it was I have been able to deal with that a lot better, I mean once I had felt it 100 times and read about other peoples experiences it got a lot easier for me to ignore it.

I have been thinking about alternative medication as well so might look into that a little more soon.

I'm lucky I have a doctor with an open mind who told me about Tietze and unlike others said it had to do with the lungs or heart, because that was the most confusing thing for me at the start.

• Posted

But didn't that worry u saying it was related to heart and lungs? I didn't think it was. Makes sense if I wheeze. Does sound really bad but they say it's not a serious condition 🤔 I don't know what I'll do if meds don't work. Don't want to go down the road of injection 🙀 I sometimes get pain in neck but mainly in torso. Breast pain terrible at times. I'm drinking herbal teas too but don't know if they really work. I think my job is the main trigger. I notice the pain comes in when I'm stressed so that's what I need to do, find another job!

• Posted

Well yea at first it did worry me but I wasnt just going to assume that was what was wrong because its such a strange pain all over my body. So then the 3rd doctor I met with told me about costo and tietze.

Then I started to read a lot of forums which made me feel a lot better and made it a lot easier for me to deal with/ignore all of it. It has just gotten to the point that I'd like to hear from other people about what they feel on a daily basis because it always seems to be changing with me.

I'm definitely not keen on any steroid injections or anything like that.

What kind of job is it you do if I may ask, and can you tell me your age/lifestyle? just small examples, ive asked a few other people because im curious if there are any connections!

• Posted

So do you think it can cause wheezing then 🤔 It's not a continuous symptom just now & again.

I just feel aching and pain at times around neck and back but the sternum is the worse and causes a lot of breast pain which is horrible. I try and lie on my side at night but have to turn back over as it triggers the pain sad

Don't know what to do after finished meds and acupuncture in 2 weeks. Have to go back to GP I guess but will continue with amitrypline as they help me sleep and relax smile

• Posted

Hi, I am new here but I really need a place to share. I am not sure if I have costochondritis but I think I might.

About 5 weeks ago I started having pain on my left rib area. I was working out 5-6 days a week, so I thought it was a just a pulled muscle. I noticed that I had a cord like thing that would poke out a little when I stretched on that side.  It felt very weird so I got into my doc and they ordered an ultrasound which came back negative for anything. By this time my abdomen was very bloated feeling at all times and I was just very uncomfortable. My doc said it was prob a strain and just to take advil and rest. So I stopped working out entirely. But the symptoms just got worse. Body aches, tightness and pain in my sternum, super sore back and these incessant electric shocky tingling pains everywhere. Abdomen, arms and even legs. Nothing helps it. I have done x rays and labs with no answers either. Does this sound like costo? Also, how on earth can you workout? When I workout I feel ok at the time but the electrical pains and pain in the chest get crazy for days after. Ive noticed that caffeine makes it worse as well. So my two favorite things, coffee and working out are off limits 😤 It also gets worse with just regular activity like walking and doing chores. I feel like my doctor just wants to dismiss it all. I even brought up costo and she didnt really think it fit. But what else could it be??!! 

I dont know what to do.. its miserable not knowing.

• Posted

Do you also experience pain around your breast and rib area when you take a deep breath?
    • Posted

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I feel like the pain moves around. Can you get costo pain in your lower abdomen? I get pain there and in my hip too. My doctor thinks in digestive so im on a ppi drug but i just dont think that explains the sharp shooting pains... thx for the reply ❤️
    • Posted

Hi,

I have all the pain you have described. I constantly fill full and bloated. My pain areas is chest, back, abdominal pain upper/lower. Rib pain both sides is severe at times.

• Posted

did you ever get answers?

did it resolve?

im going through all of this now !

• Posted

had this for almost a year...had ECG ..CT SCAN..Xray..bloods..autoimmune tests..all fine. pain on deep breathes, pain in ribs that seems to go into my abdomen, and recently crazy pins and needles in arms legs and face..is this normal for this condition. Some of these posts seem reassuring..the doc seems to think costro or teitzes is the problem..but the longer it goes on the more concerned I get...what do you suggest?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.