Help! Citalopram and obsessive thinking

Posted , 3 users are following.

this is my second time on citalopram and like many i am finding it harder this time. this will be my 6th week.

my main issue is obsessive worrying and catastrophising. my mind flicks from one worry to another and then back again over and over. i feel slightly better in the evening but my brain is still at times scanning for things to worry about.

i had cbt last time but hated it and found while it sounded straight forward my brain just couldnt put thr texhniques into practise as i was so distressed.

has citalopram alone helped any of you stop obsessive thinking?

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi my experience sounds very similar to yours although I do use the CBT techniques I have learnt with my counsellor. I am on week 12 of second try on citrolopram and I am feeling much better now. The anxiety about my health is not so acute, the panic is not so debilitating and I don't feel as frightened as I have in a number of weeks that I'm dying. I did have really bad side effects in the first 6-8 weeks but they seem to have mostly subsided although I'm still waking a lot in the night (but not having panic attacks which makes it more bearable).

I would say give it more time and keep talking to people.

xx

• Posted

Hi I also have had a similar experience this is my second time on citalopram. I suffered awful intrusive thoughts, they started to bother me less and become less sticky after about 12 weeks. I am now 8 months in and although the intrusive thoughts come they go really quickly and no longer have the impact they did. citalopram has obviously helped but I also changed certain habits such as avoiding caffeine and exercising daily. it will get better !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.