Help, come off mirtArzapine....awful side affects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, thanks to everyone whom have helped me..have come off mirtazapine ,was on for three weeks could not cope feeling tired all the time...now of it I just stopped now I feel suicidal, sick feeling, no energy, can't cope.

feel I'm a living dead person, was on citalopram and fluoxetine and that was horrendous , felt sick, lost my memory and have constant  ringing ears,was out on for anxiety and also spaced out feeling...I hat this feeling..have no interest in friends or family as much..

don't know what yo do next doctors no help!have got a therapist in few weeks though I seriously think I have brain damage from theses tablets .....

please help me....sorry writing is not correct I'm all overvtheplace and have forgotten my English skills.....Sarah

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sarah, perhaps you could go back to asmaller dose of mirtazapine and take in before sleep, so you get at least 8 hours of good rest? I don't think you have demaged your brain but you're going trough withdrawal symptoms potentially from three different drugs, maybe it's worth considering going back to the latest one and then if it doesn't work taper down slowly. Good luck!
  • Posted

dear sarah, ooh this sound so familiar. .i have been on paroxetine for quite a while.i was off for 3 years but i have the feeling that i never was like before i started the pills. huge brain fog, spaced out, panic attacks which were really unfamiliar to me before i start taking this. i cant take care of myself anymore, no interest in nothing. no pleasure in nothing. tinnutus too all the time but more noticable when im in bed.

tried meditation/mindfulness for a couple of years, thats the only thing that helped control a bit (or letting go the sh*t). but now im too restless to meditate even a couple of minutes. will start intense treatment soon, hopefully. hospitalized.

• Posted

You should have tapered off from mirtazapine and any other antidepressant very gradually.  You definitely cannot stop cold turkey or you will experiene awful withdrawal symptoms.  Many people have been  helped with mirtazapine - one friend said it saved her life.  It does take getting used to.  I first was prescribed 15 mg. but felt very sleepy in the afternoon.  Now my dosage has been reduced to 7.5 mg.  The depression has disappeared but I still have some sleepiness but it doesn't affect my life very much.  I think you should go back to mirtazapine with your doctor's approval and stick to it for a while.  You really have to give any antidepressant time to feel its effects.  What dosage was prescribed?  Perhaps a lower dose would work better for you.  I definitely do not think you have damaged your brain but see your doctor to get reassurance.  Is it difficult to get  doctors'  appts?  I assume you live in the UK.  I live in the US and I can medical appts. very easily although I pay a lot of $'s for medical insurance.  Nothing comes easily, does it?  Good luck and I hope you start feeling better very soon.  
  • Posted

I agree with the other posters I think you need medical guidance. Call and get an appointment ASAP to talk to someone properly. If you're not happy with your doctor ask for a different one or change surgeries if you have difficulty getting appointments. 

I think I'm quite lucky at my doctors they save some apts for advance bookings, some for same day mornings and then they release more at 12pm too for the afternoon. I don't think many others get this kind of service in England which is sad, you shouldn't have to wait weeks to see someone. 

I hope you get to speak to someone soon and good luck. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.