Help coming off codiene

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just looking for advice and support been taking co codomal for over 4 years. Started on it for pain with my knee but just started taking it to relax. Last week i agreed to try and reduce under my doctors advice ( i didnt admit i was addicted). She gave me 3 packets of 15mg pure codiene and in less than a week ive took the lot! I dont know wether to just never order any again so the temptation isnt there as i just cant help myself if its in the house or do i need to slowly cut down. Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire you can't just stop it takes time to slowly reduce you intake to taper yourself off of them it's little and slow going,I'm on co codamol for arthritis in my hand for 2 years and you do become dependent on them I can manage to get by on 80 mg a day but now I find the pain killing side is weak but it's the only way to go if you need to talk always about god bless you girl it takes strength to cut back don't think of it as giving up??x

• Posted

Tapering your dose is the ‘recommended’ way of quitting, slowly reducing down. For some reason that has never works for me.

I quit completely, on day 8 at the moment.  I’ve used for about 10 years. Longest I’ve lasted has been 25 days. Hoping to better that this time. One day at a time.

The withdrawals have been horrendous though. Headache, sore muscles, diarrhoea , insomnia.  I can feel those starting to ease off though. 

Down to the cravings now and hoping I can stay off the tabs. I was using anything up to about 15  30/50’s at its worst per day. 

Plenty of fluids, hot baths, go for a walk if you can. Watch Netflix flat out .... Multivitamins. Try and eat, soups etc was all I could stomach for the first few days.

And read the forums, this was the first time I have been on here, they have been a great help, even just reading other people’s stories.

Hope you can quit....

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

It’s great you’ve decided it’s time to quit. Well done, life will be better once you are off them, both mentally and physically. Unlike rob who has found ct best, i am tapering with the lowest does possible i need just to finction and will hopefully get it down to nothing within the next week. You just need to find what works best for you and what life commitments you have may dictate the path you need to take. Rob’s asvice is spot on, i’ve been on the smoothies and in the gym although it hasn’t been easy by anlong shot, and also on netflix (alrhough inwouldn’t recomend re:mind)! Good luck tomyou and keep posting about your journey so we can all support eaxh other X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.