Help! Concerned I have Meniere's, but don't have all of the symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male.  Last year (July 2015) I developed tinnitus in both ears and ear pressure.  This was put down to eustachian tube dysfunction caused by hay fever (my doctor noticed my ear drums were retracted).  The pressure eventually went away with the use of a nasal spray and antihistamines, and the tinnitus decreased to a volume that's only noticeable in very quiet rooms.

Around 9 weeks ago, my tinnitus increased and the fullness returned.  I assumed it was just my eustachian tube dysfunction as a result of the hay fever, and my GP confirmed that I had a retracted eardrum and fluid in ther other ear. I was told to persist with the medication (nasonex, fexofenadine and occasionally sudafed).

Two weeks after the tinnitus and fullness started, I caught a virus that caused fatigue, weakness, headache and swollen glands.  That cleared up, but a few days later I gradually started to feel dizzy over the course of a few days.  The dizziness is very difficult to describe: there is no spinning, nor would I describe it as a sense of movement.  Instead, it feels like more of a heaviness, similar to the feeling of being slightly drunk.  I feel unsteady, but I'm never worried that I'll actually fall.  It's far better when I'm lying down, and is at its worst when I'm in shops.  My vision has sometimes been affected (I feel as if I'm straining my eyes slightly when looking into the distance, and is occasionally slightly blurry).  I have also felt extremely tired (more so than usual) when I have days when I have to move around a lot.

The combination of dizziness, unexplainable tinnitus and fullness in the ear has made me panic about the propsect of having Meniere's disease.  My doctors have not seem very concerned (I have been repeatedly told that it is 'unlikely'wink and I had to push hard for an ENT appointment.  In the 9 weeks that this has been ongoing my mental health has deteriorated signficantly.  I saw a registrar yesterday who carried out an audiogram, tympanometry and tested for nystagmus using frenzel goggles.  None of them showed any problems.  In fact, the audiologist said I had some of the best hearing he'd seen.

I left without a diagnosis.  The registrar told me that my symptoms didn't meet the diagnostic criterion for any disorder.  He's given me a long list of migraine trigger foods to stop eating as I've had two migraines in the past, and said we'd follow up in 'a few months'.  He said Meniere's was 'unlikely' because of my hearing test results, but said he couldn't be sure because of the fluctuating nature of hearing loss in Meniere's.  He also said that labyrinthitis/vestibular neuritis was 'possible', but that it usually starts with a sudden onset of severe vertigo, whereas I experience only a vague sense of dizziness which had a gradual onset.

I am so worried that this could be the early stages of Meniere's disease.  I would like to get your thoughts on whether or not I am being unreasonable.  My ear fullness comes and goes, but seems to be helped by steam inhalation, which suggests it is not so much of a problem with my inner ear (though of course I can't inhale steam when I'm out of the house and my ear feels blocked, so cannot be sure!).  My dizziness is not true vertigo and probably better described as disequilibrium.  My tinnitus is very quiet and doesn't seem to fluctuate.  I had a very small dip in the low frequencies in an earlier audiogram (only about a 10-15dB drop) but my audiologist told me it wasn't clinically significant, and was probably caused by my retracted ear drum from the eustachian tube dysfunction.  There also doesn't seem to be any consistency in the symptoms, they don't really come on as separate 'attacks', they seem to just come and go independently of eachother.

Please tell me that I'm being unreasonable!  I've developed a complete fixation with this condition and can't focus on much else.  I'm becoming increasingly desperate, thinking about the implications of having this disease at such a young age.  I'd really appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You have a lot of stuff going on right now, sorry about that. You could be dealing with a low grade sinusitis or some other such thing that is causing a chronic inflammation. Have you tried sinus hygiene procedures like nasal washings? You may need to be more aggressive with decongestants, etc. Has your doc looked at a CT to rule out sinsitis or other blockages? Things may need to be looked at a little closer to rule out other causes since the symptoms seem to be making you miserable. I would agree with your docs in that menieres is probably not the culprit. Feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Donna.  I didn't get a CT scan while I was at the appointment, but I'll make sure to request one on my follow-up appointment if this doesn't go away before.  I have a neti-pot in the house but after one use I got some water stuck in my ear.  I managed to get most of it out (I think!) but was reluctant to use it again.  Might be worth me giving it a try though, as I think there are ways to prevent it getting in your ears.  Really appreciate your suggestions.

• Posted

HELLO... WOW U HAVE DESCRIBED MANY OF MY SYMPTOMS AN I HAVE MENIERE'S DISEASE.IM PRAYING YOU DON'T. GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

The retracted eardrums cannot be disputed, as ENT/GPs see this regularly.  Clearly there is decreased air-pressure on the other side, most likely caused by the eustachian tube.

The presence of dizziness does not dispute the above.  There are receptors/sensors on the round window of the middle ear, that can transmit this change in pressure to the vestibular system and cause dizziness symptoms.  This can happen to divers, for example.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply Eleftherious.  I wasn't aware that the the round window itself was sensitive to changes in pressure in the middle ear, so that's very insightful.

I wasn't very clear about my retracted ear drums however: there have been a number of occasions when I have seen doctors when doctors haven't been able to detect any problems with my ear drums.   Twice doctors have said that my right ear contains water, once I was told both were a bit 'tight', another time that the left was retracted.  However, there have been an equal number of occasions when I've been told they look fine, and of course my tympanometry came back without showing any issues.  The dizziness is also not always present when my ear feels full/blocked, and I had no balance symptoms when my eustachian tube was blocked last year.  Could it be the case that my dysfunctioning eustachian tube is causing regular fluctuations in pressure that can cause dizziness, even when I am not able to detect any pressure, or does the information above suggest that something else might be going on?  Thanks very much!

• Posted

From where I am sitting, I have to rely on what your physicians saw when they looked in your ear.  Some say that the eardrum is curved inwards, indicating negative pressure in the middle ear.  Why some say they see it and some not is difficult to know, as this is usually a very clear sign to ENT physicians that see this many times everyday.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I would hope you were also tested for BPPV and had Xrays and an MRI scan to exclude other causes. From what you say MD seems unlikely but have you been overdosing on antihistamines which is what I had been doing a few days before my first major attack?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  No, I've been sticking to the recommended dose of antihistamines, but I'm on the highest recommended dose of the corticosteroid spray I'm using (400mg in each nostril).  I think it's generally recommended to bring it down as soon as symptoms are under control, but obviously it's difficult knowing at this point whether the spray is causing the dizziness or tackling the cause of it!  I'll make sure to bring this up with my ENT next time I see him - thanks for the suggestion.

• Posted

Re BPPV - the symptoms that I've had don't seem to fit BPPV very closely (no vertigo and sudden movement/turning over while lying down doesn't seem to cause any issues).  The registrar didn't carry out any scans whatsoever.  It sounds like I should really push for these next time I visit the clinic...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.